YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've currently got a very nice Apeks XTX200 1st stage with XTX50 2nd.
As it originally came from a twinset, I've never had a octo with it.

I only dive a single cylinder and I'm in the market now for a AAS before my holidays. I like the idea of diving a long hose, so daft question... is it possible to buy just the 2nd stage and chuck it on a long hose?

All the online retailers I can find either don't sell 2nd stages individually, or only do them as an 'Octo'.. so in yellow with yellow standard length hose.

My LDS don't stock Apeks, so aren't much use...

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
Why not just buy a yellow reg on a standard yellow hose, then put it on a black long hose? Given that the long hose configuration means you'd be donating the (yellow) reg from your mouth in an OOA situation anyway, it's probably no bad thing to have a yellow reg if you're diving with people unfamiliar with the long hose set up, but who automatically equate yellow with 'available' reg in a crisis.

I dive with a long hose on my single wing, and two black regs, but people have commented that it's not clear which one they should be taking if they need it (despite me demonstrating during buddy checks).

HTH
alice

·
Registered
989 Posts
I dive with a long hose on my single wing, and two black regs, but people have commented that it's not clear which one they should be taking if they need it (despite me demonstrating during buddy checks).
Never heard that one myself, fairly easy concept to grasp. Plus chances are they will grab the one on your mouth anyway, even if you didn't tell them.

Brian at Aquanauts can get you Apeks equipment as seperates, give him a call 01752 228825 , Aquanauts Dive Centre, Plymouth, PADI Diving Courses & Diver Charters - Home

HTH,

Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can see where you're coming from Alice (With the buddies not knowing which reg to 'grab').. but I'm also of the opinion that they'd normally reach for the one in your mouth, and even more so if you've already told them you'd actually want them to in an OOAS..

I don't see the point in paying for a normal length yellow hose, only to put it in a spares box and buy a long hose..

I'll have a word with Aquanauts and see what I can find!

Thanks..

Chris

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't see the point in paying for a normal length yellow hose, only to put it in a spares box and buy a long hose..

Absolutely. I suppose what I was driving at was that, if money is a real governing factor for you, you sometimes get a better deal by buying the 'package' as advertised and then making adjustments yourself. See what Brian can do for you. Otherwise, I bought the various components separately(& no yellow hose in sight) for my most recent reg incarnation from Deep Blue, and they were also very good value.

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
... is it possible to buy just the 2nd stage and chuck it on a long hose?
Hi Chris

I have recently bought XTX50 and 40 second stages singularly from Kent Diving. They were in stock too.

HTH

Graham :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts