132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just saw THIS on ebay

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Come on 2Tanx, AndyP and Chasey, you know you want it! Current bid at £610!! Get in amongst it chaps.

Do we know how old the unit is? Which model it is?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

It's probably bent.  Here is an exerpt from the Insp list as a result of a long discussion about suspiciously cheap YBODs turning up on e-Bay.  At that price, if it's not bent - it's f*cked!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hello list.  I wanted to write a quick note to everyone and thank all who
emailed me with information on the stolen unit in California.  This morning I
meet the guy selling it in a mall parking lot and to my surprise confirmed the
stolen serial numbers given to me by Cliff at Silent Diving Systems.  Whoever
was the highest bidder if your reading this you won't be getting the
unit.......lol.  Sorry. I arrested the suspect with 6 uniformed officers.  Funny as it
sounds my backup was not there on time and I was all alone with him trying to
delay him.  He left with the promise to return in 20 minutes.  Sorry guys but I
would be in a lot of trouble trying to take this guy by myself in plain
clothes with no backup, lots of people around means possible layoff guys waiting to
jump me so all I could do was let him go.  He actually returned in 20 minutes
just like he said and we finally got him.  The unit will be returned to its
waiting owner in a few days, maybe a week or two, and as of now he has been
booked for receiving stolen property.  A felony in California.  As I was already
late for a dive callout in the Harbor I had to leave after 3 hours with him at
the station.  He still looked so shocked and confused in his little cage being
interviewed by the Detectives.  By the way we also booked his nice new Chevy
truck which he might never get back.....

I feel very proud to be part of the rebreather community as well as a police
officer but I can honestly say I have never met more honest and genuine people
diving in the RB community.  Some of you are a little weird though......lol

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Looked at the e-bay ad, saw the recommendations. Smelt a rat. Saw he has two units @600 notes + an Azimuth @300 notes. Smelt a bigger rat. E-mailed the vendor (who's apparently based in London) asking for serial nos, got a reply from a Pittsburg e-mail address describing two brand new boxed units, very evasive re: serial nos.
The dead rat it stinking up the house at the moment. Time to talk to ebay I think.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

I found out the same from my local clubs notice board. He basically confirmed what Steve W said. Why don't we tip off the police in the States? Could someone contact the guy who posted that thanks up?

Dave C

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

This Guy has said he is in Germany

Ive had no pic's either

This is a reply ive had from him - am very sorry but COD is not good for me because i need cash asap. But i can do something for you. I send you the unit you send me the money in the same day via wire money transfer and you have 2 days to check and try the unit and you can return and money back 100%
because i don't pick-up the money until you don't confirm me that everyhing is Ok with the unit.
If this is OK for you i can prepare the unit for delivery today.
Let me know ASAP,

Simon

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I've had something similar.  This is a well-documented scam technique - the unit basically doesn't exist & if you wire transfer money over you'll never see it again.  Word to the wise - people who insist on Western Union are generally pulling a fast one.  I've reported it to e-bay as a bent auction for what it's worth.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

WTF is that?
?

Has Herr Scammer just taken a random bit of equipment that happened to be yellow (for authenticity ;) ) and taken a photo of its serial plate??

Fantastic!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>but he went to all that trouble to atleast find something yellow such a shame he couldn't find english too

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello all,

Is this guy crazy or what ? At least does he know how an inspiration looks, I don't have one  
 but I think at least should be written in english.

You are doing a good thing, so that these guys does not have more money, of which can do more of these.

Regards

Pierre

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Aw bless him, he even put his yellow cardie in the background to reinforce its authenticity.  I, for one, will NEVER buy a rebreather from a guy who wears a yellow cardie. Sartorial elegance begins and ends with black neoprene, preferably crushed.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Worryingly(?sp) the item still appears to be for sale

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

I know - price up to £1650. Just sent a frantic message to ebay asking them to stop the whole thing before some poor sucker gets relieved of his savings.
Got an automated message back, same as last time.  How good is that?
Still, it's all over the boards on all the relevant fora so maybe that'll help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>just outbit anybody for the unit then tell him to piss off, but a bid in for 8k lol, in fact we all should bid high 4k, 5k, 6k ,7k, up to 30k  will give him a heart attack lol

i wii start

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>now up to £ 2450 with 18hours to go and he's done a private auction so no-one else can email the high bidder to warn them

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Heh heh - justed ramped it up to £4200 but someone appears to have set something up so I get outbid by £100 every time I submit. So we're up to £4300 now, for a £3850 unit. Anyone else fancy a go?

EDIT: It's just clicked - what was the maximum you put in Steve?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I offered him £2500 for the unit which he accepted streight away. He of course asked for the mony to be wired to him. I hav said that its no problem as I am often in Germany so if he gives me hiss address I will pop round with cash and pick it up.

I dont expect to here from him again.

Mind you if he dose reply its only £45.00 to fly to Germany so I will pop over

NOT

Mark Chase

1 - 20 of 24 Posts