YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Today I received an e-mail from Louise informing me taht any posts on Divernet that 'advertised' YD would be removed as that is against Divernet rules.
Fair enough I suppose.

So if you have something to say on Divernet it may be a good idea not to advertise YD.

Regards
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Was that in response to a particular post of yours, or just a general one going to all of us that she knows about..?

(It IS written on the Dnet forum that posts advertising other sites WILL be removed, and has been for months..)

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Dont know if its me specific or general, I agree that its been a policy that Dnet has had in place for a long time but I believed it meant a commercial site rather than a meeting place like this.

One of my responses to a 'stop the bitching' post mentioned we dont do agency bashing, I did say we ruck about DIR etc but she seemed to think I said we dont ruck at all. Looks like a case of misunderstanding my post maybe.

I've also been advised (by another poster) that a post by a young lad where I responded he should be carefull whom he arranges to buddy with has been misunderstood too.

Just about pissed off now - good start to the week!

Anybody else get buzzed by Louise?
Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I didn't.. but I haven't been terribly active on Dnet for a while.

Mind you, she might just be saving up warnings for the dive show for people she knows by sight
Must remember to take my padded jacket to the NEC...

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Oct. 13 2003,09:59)]I didn't.. but I haven't been terribly active on Dnet for a while.
<font color='#0000FF'>I don't know if it is my impression but I have the feeling that the divernet forum is being lot less used than before. When there is some bitching then you get many replies but otherwise there isn't that much new in terms of topics. I still log on to the site but no where near as much as before.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I now only respond to posts on D/net. If I have a question I generally ask it on here.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Imported post

I used to use Dnet all the time, but it seems to just be arguments now.

And some of those threads go on for ever.....................

There use to be real discussion on there, but know when i look it just does not compare to YD

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Just noticed that the AQUABIN response from the 'stop the bitching' thread has been removed.

The thread about Col. Maniac's sunken liveaboard contains a link to scubaboard forum - not deleted.

IS YD is being picked out for special treatment?

I think censoring YD from the board is bad news.  I came here originally after seeing a link on a note from Bren, and now only go back to Dnet when very, very bored.  How many other YD members came that way?  I don't understand what Dnet thinks it will achieve by pretending YD doesn't exist?

Andy

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I don't know about special treatment - but TBH, YD is plugged a lot on Dnet, much more than any other forum, so if they get harsher with people advertising YD, I can't say I'd consider that unfair..

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I agree with Dom. Why should Divernet permit advertising for other forums? I don't think YD is being singled out for special treatment. I'm sure the reaction would be the same if people kept referring to / recommending any othe scuba forum.
I still log on to Divernet every day. I think it contains a lot of useful information and the tone is generally very civilised. I also find I am often able to answer other people's questions, particularly on the Destinations forum. I like YD but the reason why I frequent these boards is not that I dislike Divernet.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I (Aquabin on DNet) removed my responses from Dnet, they didnt censor my stuff I did it voluntarily. I have removed some of my other stuff too.  I'm fed up with posting X and having it pulled to bits by all and sundry on DNet because they dont agree. OK if its cobblers I deserve to be corrected, but when its just someone else's opinion I think its incorrect to get hammered. I asked a lad, who had posted for a buddy (he's 16) to be carefull and although some of the guys backed me up one guy got stuck in to me. Cant be arsed to argue the toss anymore. Maybe I have stuck in too many answers to too many questions both here, there and everywhere.
Bad day in the office too. Think I'll give it a rest for a while.

Catch u on a dive.

Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Typical diving withdrawal symptoms, Matt. Get back under water ASAP!  

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I did find my way to YD via Divernet - a link of Bren's if I remember correctly. I hardly ever look at Divernet now, but it's still linked on my Favourites list.

In terms of design it appears very cumbersome and in no way is as user friendly as YD. Jay has really done a splendid job here. I have no experience of "Handbagnet" as I was never a poster on there and so was never subjected to a bashing, but it's all part of the fun.

I don't understand why Louise wants to remove the links, though. It is not as if the two sites are commercial competitors. It's all about the dissemination of ideas and information, so surely the-more-the-merrier?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

The two forums ARE competitors in a sense. Divernet is financed by ads. If people desert it and go over to YD, the advertisers will stop advertising on it, meaning a loss of income for Divernet's owners.
I agree that YD is very user-friendly but it is a much smaller forum and is much less image-intensive. The YD format wouldn't work on such a big forum as Divernet, which has lots of other sections apart from the discussion boards. I would guess that Divernet is by far the world's biggest scuba forum.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Oh I dunno John,

Have you seen SCUBABoard, and its over 17,000 members? I can't see DNet having that kind of user-base. They also use a very similar format (if not identical) to YD.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I came over to YD after posting on divernet for buddies in yorkshire and Bren sent me the link. I rarely look at divernet , it just seems to be full of bitching and it's really hard to follow the threads.
YD feels like a community of friends so I am happy just asking questions and recruiting buddies here.
jules:D

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Oct. 13 2003,16:53)]The two forums ARE competitors in a sense. Divernet is financed by ads.
<font color='#000080'>Fair enough. I look at Divernet so infrequently I had not noticed the advertising. I wonder if Jay and Andy have given it any consideration for here? I'm not sure I'd like to see it. If raising funds were necessary I think I'd rather pay a subscription.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Oct. 13 2003,09:23)]
So if you have something to say on Divernet it may be a good idea not to advertise YD.
    I've found if you have something to say, D/net isn't the place to do it anyway.  Any of that lot could have an argument in an empty room, it doesn't matter what you said, there's a queue of people ready to tell you that you're wrong.  I only look on it to see who's getting it ripped out of them.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I like HANDBAG NET , coz my bag is bigger than most that go on there......... plus i love a good bitch,
I came here after seeing Bren's link.........

BSAC siteis good for a good ruck, but that KL's hates my postings ;-)

I love it here, coz it's more personal,,,, at least i can have my piccie showing ,,,,,, not up someones arse like JERRY ' EXO ' BARRET,,,,,,, how comes it's only him that can have his mask showing ,,
 fu**ing tw** he is , has anyone had a e:mail from him ?

" Oi Sonny ,,, when i was a navy diver in vietnam , i was taught   **********8********** "

Andy

Jay & co, keep up the good work here , ya FABBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Ooohh, I think I'm gonna cry......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.