Votes: 37 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.8%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, following on from the spectacular thread about cooking and recipies....

I plan to do a YD cook book to raise money for MND. Not sure of cost yet as it will depend on printing costs and how many i need to get done etc.

What can you do?

Post your favourite meals on this thread. Anything you like, from beans on toast to a five course meal. Everything will be credited to you, so dont worry.

I have other plans, but they need time, and thats something i dont have a huge amount for the next few days.

Also please vote on the poll if you would be interested in buying one of these. This will let me get a quote for the printing.

Go YD go :D

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I'm up for it. Give me some time and I'll post my own concoctions.

Hxxx :teeth:

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
I's sure amongst my list of disasters I have cooked something edible - I'll try to remember what it was ;)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
ScubaSue said:
I's sure amongst my list of disasters I have cooked something edible - I'll try to remember what it was ;)
Marmite on toast? :teeth:

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Dahl

This superb and good for vegetarians and meat eaters:

175 g / 6oz red lentils
1 chopped onion
2 gloves of garlic - crushed
1 tablespoon /15ml ground turmeric
1 tablespoon / 15ml ground cumin
1 tablespoon/15ml ground coriander
2 teaspoon/10ml paprika pepper
1 large (14oz approx) of chopped tomatoes
vegetable stock (water with a stock cube in it!)

Soften the onion in a little oil until it is clear, not brown. Add the garlic and stir for a moment. Add the lentils ( I always pre cook mine for about 10 minutes in lightly salted water and then drain and rinse before adding to the onion.)
Add the tomatoes and the spices and paprika pepper. Stir to mix thoroughly and then bring to the boil adding stock as required to prevent the lentil mixture from becoming too dry. Don't overdo the stock, add a little at a time. Cook for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft but not too much of a mush. It will become obvious as you make it how it should look.

And yes to a cook book

(I'll ask my mum if you can publish it!!!!!)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Without wantig to dampen any spirits, i don't know how you can go about ensuring that any recipes aren't lifted from already copyrighted material, but it is something to consider. i.e. DON'T enter your favourite recipe from Delia etc....

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
For my recipe ideas, just add salt.

And yes to the cookbook idea; the original YD Can't Cook, Won't Cook.... :embarassed:

·
life is too short
1,987 Posts
yep, i'd buy one - anything to help with my rather erm....how shall i put this....lack of cooking ability......

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Now this is a dinner party speciality that I've devised over the years and until now the recipe has been a guarded secret - I hope you enjoy!

Spicey Chicken and Mushroom Rissotto

Ingredients (to serve 2)

2 chicken breasts, grilled and sliced
4 rashers smoked back bacon, sliced
1 onion, finely chopped
8oz arborio rice
8 floz chicken stock
4-6 chestnut mushrooms
1 clove garlic
tomato puree
hot pepper sauce
grated cheese (parmesan or mature cheddar)
ground black pepper
olive oil

Method

Put a large pan on the heat and add a splash of olive oil. First fry the bacon until slightly browned then add the onion and crushed garlic. Once the onion is softened add the rice (add extra oil if necessary) and stir continuously for about two minutes. Add the chicken stock, a squeeze of tomato puree and a splash of hot pepper sauce. Toss in the sliced chicken breast and finally chopped mushrooms. Add ground black pepper to season to taste.

Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is softened to 'al dente'. Finally stir in grated cheese to give a creamy texture.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Right then Davies. I'll be round for dinner next week :)

Good idea, obviously as Lou has said sensible to make sure they're not lifted from elsewhere, but it shouldn't be too tough to avoid it. Just change all the amounts by 2 grams :)

I'll be putting my recipe for "Love Truffles" together later on. Very alcoholic, very chocolatey, and if they don't get you at least to the bedroom door you've made them wrong.

Digs.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Helen,

It is now possible to get books printed on demand. It may cost a bit more per book, but you don't have to worry so much about print run size. BUT read this first, for potential problems. I don't know of any UK services either. Just something I had come across.

I recall we have people in the print here, they may be able to help.

Adrian

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
sounds like I will have to repeat the publications of scallops al la Jules.....

Go diving and catch your scallops and do the necessary, just keeping the circular white discs, not the coral bit.

Wash and dry, slice the larger ones in half to make two thinner disks. Flour lightly.

Have ready prepared by your kitchen apprentices...
lots of chopped fresh basil
chopped garlic
lemon juice
chopped red chilli just the red flesh not the seeds

Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and lightly cook your scallops on one side then turn over to do other side side adding the garlic, chilli, and basil.

when these are starting to cook add the lemon juice stir round and serve on a bed of luttuce and with a dollop of mayonaise on the side. the lemon juice mingles with the flour and other stuff to made a lovely light sauce.

They probably only have about 2 minutes cooking time per side.

Best served with a Demi John of John Mitchell's white homebrew to wash them down.(but be careful as it's lethal!)

I once cooked these in the Lochaline dive centre for about 20 people and they went down a treat!

I would buy a book of recipes, especially quick and easy ones like this.

jules

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Yep... I would buy one. I have several recipes all made up and yummy.

And they don't include that disgusitng Marmite on Toast :)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Scubee said:
Yep... I would buy one. I have several recipes all made up and yummy.

And they don't include that disgusitng Marmite on Toast :)
Oh heathen Marmite on toast is divine

·
1,773 Posts
Spaghetti Alla Vongole

This is a classic Italian dish but can be adapted to different ingredients eg Spaghetti alla Gamberi.

What you need ...

Vongole - Baby Clams are best, cockles are fine, scallops are brilliant and prawns (gamberi) will do dandy

Linguine - I prefer linguine to spaghetti - use dried stuff it's what the Italians use - fresh pasta is for chefs unless for Tagliatelli :)

Garlic - lots of

White wine - use stuff you'd be happy drinking not plonk

Onion - one or two

Olive oil

Method

Heat some olive oil, add chopped onion and cook slowly - the aim is to make the onion translucent not coloured. When it's well sweated add garlic and cook until the garlic is just starting to colour. Then start adding white wine, bit at a time but you can put the gas up a wee bit. The adding of the wine should go on for ten minutes.

Whilst your doing this last bit your boiling salted water is ready for the linguine so add it. Check it after 7 minutes and if it's good to go then get it out of the water saving a little of the pasta water (you might need it)

Dress your pasta with extra virgin olive oil, some salt and some frshly ground black pepper (if you want to) and put it in a big bowl.

Add the seafood to your fast bubbling wine, onion, garlic and cook for a maximum of two mins.

When ready tip your seafood mixture over your pasta (if it's not saucy enough a bit of the pasta water can be added to loosen.)

Serve with a crisp white such as a Sauvingon Blanc.

Eat. Then have your main course :)

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack.

Just been reading through this thread again, and noticed the majority of recipes are posted by us males. Is this because more of us are single and can only do take aways so many nights a week, more males cook than say 20 years ago, or do we just have more time on our hands to post on here:teeth:

Gareth

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
gwilson said:
Just been reading through this thread again, and noticed the majority of recipes are posted by us males.
It's because we are the better cooks . . . obviously. :)

(Though I can personally vouch for Jules' scallops - delicious!)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts