YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

How many people agree it would be useful to have a Dive trip "calendar" where anybody organising a dive trip can display it on the calendar with the latest status (on/off/how many places left, etc - the fields could be standardised). That way when you have some free time, you just look up the calendar and see what's on for that date.

I'm not IT minded so I am not sure how easy it is do something like this, but I'd like to know your views.

Cheers,
Philip

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>If it wouldn't cause Jay and Co to many Dramas, I think it'd be a great idea.

Juz

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I'm sure this is possible, as we already see members birthdays on the calendar, at the bottom of the front page. As members will be looking at one page or another, I don't think it will do much to the download usage stats. I'm not sure if Ikonboard allows members to add calendar items though, it may just be an admin thing.

Adrian

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Good idea Phil.
I'm reticent to book up anything at the moment and let people down, for obvious reasons, but I'd love to be able to look at a Calendar and see if there was a place I could grab at the last moment.

Matt

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

The feature already exits (a la the birthday calendar), it was just not switched back on again after the last board/system reboot towards the end of last year. If you look at my St Abbs dive booking (Planned Trips) for next October, you'll see the format in which it comes out.

HTH.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I've had a look at the planner as it is, it's at the bottom of the main home page.

I think it is a great idea, it may be worth clearing the birthdays off though, as I think they are more of a "nice to know" rather than "need to know" and take up space. (Or am I being unsocial?) It would be a good way to arrange dives in advance as I try to spread my dives out so it's not feast and famin.

James

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

ok sounds like there's a way forward. Now how to encourage everybody with a trip advertised in the planned trips section to put it up on the calendar!

edit. I've just had a look at the calendar and it doesn't allow entries to be made. Also things may get a bit busy if we all started entering dives, specially at weekends. We would need one short entry per trip linking to a more detailed description if clicked..I think this would be worth the effort as it would make YD the destination of choice for properly arranging dives etc?

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Yeah, I think it is a good idea and a shame that it got lost along the way.

When I organised the Red Sea trip for last November it went on the calendar. There used to be a section that then appeared on the front page which highlighted trips coming up in the next couple of weeks (just where the birthdays thing is). In fact, it's still there - it just doesn't show anything any more.

I spent ages trying to get later trips on the calendar and couldn't work out why I wasn't able to do it again!

Jay - can we have it back?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ Feb. 03 2004,20:51)]Yay, we added the stoney gig yet?
'YD-stock' now on the board!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

At the risk of revealing my total It ineptitude, how do you make an entry for a given date in the calendar
? Pleeeezze

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Frog kick , it works when you make a new post as soon as you enter a date,,,, mate

Andy

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (frogkick @ Feb. 04 2004,11:38)]err if the event is more than one day, how do you enter the date(s), e.g 9th + 10th ?
You don't, you just put the fist date in the date box and then make it clear in the body of the post that the dives in question, or the ones you're promoting, cover more than one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts