YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

As I was only able to do one day of Mark Davies' Anglesey gig I thought it was only fitting tho say Thanks to Mark and all those concerned for a great, if not entirely successful diving day.

After loading the Julie Ann from the top of the harbour wall, she was 30 ft below, Our merry band of Mark, Kate, Tony, Louigi, Fiona, Will, John, Stev-il and myself set off for the SS Torch (very aptly named as it turned out) along with Eylfin (sorry about the spelling) and Bob (I think). The sea was flat calm with very little wind and all was right with the world.

John Mitchell and I were the first in, we could see things were going to be a little challenging as I could barely see my own fins whilst we were at the surface and the deeper we went the darker it became. When we eventually got to the bottom of the shot it all I could see was John's torchlight  
I had a look around and saw some beautiful plumrose anenomeas on the wreckage and a couple of Dahlia anenomaes and then could no longer see John. When I turned my torch in on myself to stop ir reflecting off the silt in the water to try and locate my missing buddy by trying to see his light, well the closest I could describe it as would be a coal mine, at night, with no lights on - Nice.
After releasing the DSMB and ascending I did find John again, he was back on board the boat. It turns out that he stayed by the shot and then went back up it after losing me but we did say that if we became seperated we would just come straight back up.

Max depth: 22.5 mtrs, Time 35 minutes  
and zero viz. Fantastic.

I decided not to do the second dive as I had begun to get pretty cold on the return journey and my nose had started running, which it is still doing now, and drove home. I just hope the guys had better luck today.

Thanks again to the Julie Ann and her crew and the YDers for a great day out filled with good jovial conversation and helping to make it a fun day out - even if the dive(s) was "interesting" and as Cpt Red Beard said in Black Adder - I'll be back, we'll all be back.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hmmmm.. I'm noting a theme with Anglesey YD gigs in March!!  Didn't you learn from last year, Noel!?!?

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

No I hadn't Lou, I was trying to beat your record... Must try harder

Added: We did see Dolphins, a seal and a porpoise (we think) whilst on the boat though which made it better...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Mar. 28 2004,17:30)]Hmmmm.. I'm noting a theme with Anglesey YD gigs in March!!  Didn't you learn from last year, Noel!?!?

Apparently not, and neither have I  

Second day we did Coal Rock which is a reef with three steamers on it, viz was... go on , have a guess
about one metre (at best)  

Second dive was Dulas rocks, viz was 2-3 metres whoo-hoo !!) but the seals were shy and stayed at a distance  

OK so the diving wasn't brilliant but I still had a good time, was good to hook up with those I had previously met Mark, Kate, John, and  Fiona -and noel who I'd met before too though the avatar still doesn't look like  you mate  

Also good to meet some new faces including Sacremento Tony who was my buddy for the weekend

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hi thanks for the week end Yd'ers it was great meeting you all. even if the diving wasn't brill I thouroughly enjoyed the company. So looking forward to July/August gig.
So once again a big thankyou to Mark for organising this one and see you all again soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Imported post

I'll second that, thanks Mark for organising everything and  a great weekend, along with everyone else. I had a great time and will have many fond memories of drinking in Bangor!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Thankyou again Mark for organising a great weekend. Shame about the dives (not exactly the best way to indroduce someone into UK diving, I'm not giving up yet though!)

The dives aside, the rest of the weekend was great (apart from where a certain rugby team failed to win a certain match...  
 ) We had a great crowd, great skipper and a few great nights out!

Look forward to the next meet!

Kate

x x x

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I went along as a late sub for Julia on the second day - thanx to Julia for dropping out and Mark for organising - even if he did drop me in for a 4.30 ( to my body as the clocks went forward ) start on aSunday morning.
Skipper's mate ( Bob ) even shared his brekkie with me - burger, egg, mushroom  barm cake- lovely.

Boat was great - skipper knows his stuff, if a bit imaginitive with visibilty prediction.  John and I groped along the bottom for the first dive - maybe it was a wreck, dunno - in fact we were expecting three. I saw lots of still critters a few small crabs and ONE fish.  Vis was maybe 4 feet,John did great to stay together.  Came up connected together via his his dog lead - which was a great success.
Second dive, Dullas Island ? saw NO fish, few small crabs, lots of kelp.  We kept relativeyl shallow, swimming along the coast, in and out to about 2 meters. we did see the seals, one even had a gnaw at one of Johns' fins.  God knows what they eat apart from diver extremities.
Great boat, good company, good dives, bring on the warmth, sea-life and visibility.
Hope to meet you all soon - especially if there is a chance of trips to California todive with those sea otters and lions.
HINT HINT.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hmmm. Shame about the diving. No reflection on Elfyn, who did his very best to find somewhere for us - it was just biz everywhere. To be fair, when I first booked the boat he did warn us!

But what the hell, plenty more opportunities to dive will come our way. It was a bloody good weekend, regardless. Old friends and new faces alike, it was just good to spend a couple of days together.

I'm always happy to organise trips, so you're all welcome. I'll be doing another one before too long.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Mar. 29 2004,19:32)]not exactly the best way to indroduce someone into UK diving, I'm not giving up yet though!
You can't give up UK diving, we know where you live...  

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Guys

Finally back on line properly as we have had no internet access or data lines all week due to the fire in a BTtunnel in Manchester, so I have had a very boring week but it did prove I can just about manage without YD, well for a week anyway.  

Don't worry about the poor viz, afterall it was only March.  I think they call it experience down the shot line bump into the wreck and back up again, can't actually beleive tow of my dive were for about 20 mins as I didn't actually see anything. I was diving in a 3, had the pleasure of Lou and Will, sorry we didn't stay together though guys.  
 maybe we will do better next time.  

Anyway had a really good weekend, Kate hope you received the photos and have warmed up, it was the first thing I did when we came back on line.  If you didn't let me know.

Well done to Elfyn and Bob who looked after us and supplied the sausage butties.  

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

glad you enjoyed the light snack fiona
ya can't beat a bit of warm sausage on a cold day

thanks to everyone who made it and to kate for keeping us amused with her various shades  of green .

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 30 2004,13:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate @ Mar. 29 2004,19:32)]not exactly the best way to indroduce someone into UK diving, I'm not giving up yet though!
You can't give up UK diving, we know where you live...  
<font color='#736AFF'>London Baby!!!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Kate hope you received the photos and have warmed up, it was the first thing I did when we came back on line.  If you didn't let me know.
Fiona, I'll be having a look tonight so will mail you to let you know, thanks!! x x x

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thanks to everyone who made it and to kate for keeping us amused with her various shades  of green .
Rah!!! Managed to keep it in though!!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

Hi All,

Just got back into California last night... or morning.. or whatever time it was.  Still have the jet lag.

Diving was great, although the viz was a little less than I'm used to.  But it was a challenge for me and that's what makes me a better diver.  Many thanks to Steve W. for staying in the water with me all four dives.  I don't thin he would have stayed down as long as he did.. particularly with a leaky drysuit, if it wasn't for the fact that I flew 1/2 way around the world.

Many thanks also to Mark for arranging the trip.  Topside on the boat was great!

Oh, and it looks like I'll be back in September.  When I get the dates set, maybe we can try again.  The viz can't be any worse!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

I was just getting ready to log my dives when I realized I don't know what the dive sites were that we dove.  Anyone have those written down?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts