YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the success of our last trip, shall we do it again?

Thinking of doing...

William Mannell 28m
A fishing trawler built in 1917 and used as a mine sweeper during WW2.
Converted back to fishing after the war, then struck rocks near Glangad Head
in 1946.

Castle Eden 33m
Another Trawler sunk by U-boat while carrying coal.

U-boat 43m?
One of the surrendered U-boats taken out from Lisahally harbour, and sunk by the RAF.

We are thinking of finding a B&B at the last minute (weather dependant), then meeting the boat at Bunnagee Pier, Culdaff Bay, to dive 2 of the above,
although I don't know how this will work with tides etc.

Then back to Carrigart Sat night & the Laurentic & another on Sunday.

SORRY BUT WE WILL BE DIVING THE LAURENTIC BOTH DAYS, WEATHER PERMITING

Saturday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F, Mrs Mick (not diving)
4 Al Kennedy
5 Ian McCurley
6 Midnight
7 Tim Richardson Belfast SAC
8 Peter M
9 Kevin
10 Stephen McMullan

Sunday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F, Mrs Mick (not diving)
4 Al Kennedy
5 Ian McCurly
6 Midnight
7 Tim Richardson Belfast SAC
8 Peter M
9 Kevin
10 Stephen McMullan

Please book on through this thread, as the last time it caused a bit of confusion.

B&B and the Sat night meal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B&B fri night
1 Mick F
2 Mrs Mick
3 Midnight
4 Al Kennedy
5 Ian McCurley
6 Kevin
7 Stephen McMullan

B&B sat night
1 Mick F
2 Mrs Mick
3 Midnight
4 Jane
5 Ken
6 Tim Richardson
7 Al Kennedy
8 Ian McCurley
9 Kevin
10 Stephen McMullan

Meal at the Carrigart Hotel ( we will not get in if I don't book a table)

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F
4 Mrs Mick
5 Midnight
6 Tim Richardson
7 Al Kennedy
8 Ian McCurly
9 Stephen McMullan
10 Kevin

The full weekend should cost 215 euros same as last time

Thanks Ken

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
cant make that one im away diving in bermuda ..OH YEAH NICE:angel:
Yeh, not so long ago you were telling us how you didn't get to do much diving these days :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I am not sure either. It is very close to my trip to scapa where I am expecting a week's Nitrox bill on top of all the other expenses.

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts

Thinking of doing...

William Mannell 28m
in 1946.

Castle Eden 33m

U-boat 43m?
One of the surrendered U-boats taken out from Lisahally harbour, and sunk by the RAF.

We are thinking of finding a B&B at the last minute (weather dependant), then meeting the boat at Bunnagee Pier, Culdaff Bay, to dive 2 of the above,

Saturday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick
4 Mrs. Mick

Sunday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick
4 Mrs. Mick

Please book on through this thread, as the last time it caused a bit of confusion.

Thanks Ken
We're there.

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts

·
3,241 Posts
What cert level would I need? I have AOW with deep and nitrox.
Mel your certs should be fine.

But, please forgive me if I am wrong...

My perception of diving in Auz is in warm clear blue water.

We could in fact have 1m viz here. We hope for more, but 1m is a real possibility. Jumping into 40m when you can see the boat above you is a whole lot different that jumping into 40m with low vis and cold, Oh yes currents will probably be running too.

Narcosis will be substantially higher, and it will be a lot more scary. It's up to you, but if my perceptions of Auz diving are correct, you really might want to think about some shallow stuff to get used to the difference first.

If on the other hand, you do low viz diving, then you will know what I am talking about and can see why I mentioned it.

Sorry if I am sounding like I am putting you off, I am just trying to ensure you are aware of the situation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the information - you are not putting me off, in fact I appreciate the fact you are being up front about the conditions and making sure that people are suitably qualified for the dives.

While much of the diving in Australia is in warm tropical waters, I live in Victoria so am used to cold water diving (although not as cold as Ireland!) Water temps where I live range from 21C in Summer to 11C in Winter. I've been using a drysuit for about 6months. Viz ranges from 3m to 15m...anything more than that and it's amazing. A lot of my local ocean diving is done using reels to assist with navigation in the low viz and to ensure we are in contact with the boat at all times. I've done approx 300 dives since cert in 2003. Diving in Port Phillip Bay where I do some diving is all tide dependant and is either done at slack water or as a drift. Locally it's more likely to be affected by surge than current.

I'm hoping to arrive in Ireland around the start of August and that should give me a chance to get in some shallower local dives to get accustomed to the conditions. Of course if I don't arrive in Ireland until a couple of days before this trip then I agree it's probably best to give it a miss and do some other stuff. I'm pretty conservate about my diving and the conditions and not afraid to call it if I don't feel comfortable - there's always another day.

Anyway, let me know what you think - I'm sure there'll be another trip I can join in on if this one doesn't work out.

Mel

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts

Thinking of doing...

William Mannell 28m
in 1946.

Castle Eden 33m

U-boat 43m?

Saturday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F
4 Mrs Mick
5 Al Kennedy

Sunday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F
4 Mrs Mick
5 Al Kennedy

Thanks Ken
I'm in! Al

·
3,241 Posts
Anyway, let me know what you think - I'm sure there'll be another trip I can join in on if this one doesn't work out.
Mel, sounds to me like you will be at home in our waters :)

I guess the temperature will probably be around 12oC (Ken would that be right for there?). And if you are already happy in that with a drysuit and 3m viz then jump right in.

Hopefully you will get more than 3m there, but you never can tell. Now, if you were diving in Strangford Lough, don't expect more than 3-4m viz.

As I said, I wasn't trying to sound negative, but you obviously know what I mean about the difference in the water conditions. I just have my own preconceived ideas about Oz with pretty fish, reefs, warm blue waters - oh yes and sharks and killer Jellyfish :angel:

No great whites or box jellyfish over here :D

·
1,319 Posts
I guess the temperature will probably be around 12oC (Ken would that be right for there?).
11 degC on Laurentic on 23rd...11.2 degC off the north Antrim coast on Saturday...

Tropical for us! :teeth:

Al

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Mel
Looks like you should have no problems with the dives to me.
Jane and I dive up there most weekends, so you are more than welcome to come up and do a try out dive, to get the feel of our waters, if you get here soon enough.
As for the gig, Jane Mrs Mick & I will not be doing a big deco dive, You can dive with us, and if you feel you want to call the dive at any time,I will come up with you, no problem at all.
Hope you can make it.
Thanks Ken

·
Registered
33 Posts
Fantastic - count me in then (providing I get to Ireland in time!)

Ken, I will definately take you up on that offer to get in a dive or two before hand and thankyou for offering to let me dive with your group...I was getting worried reading about rebreathers and what not!

Thanks,
Mel

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
I was getting worried reading about rebreathers and what not!
I get worried reading about them too!!!:teeth:

We will get a Guinness pored out ready for you.

Slainte
Midnight

·
1,319 Posts
Saturday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F
4 Mrs Mick
5 Al Kennedy
6 Meldive
7 Ian McCurley

Sunday

1 Jane
2 Ken
3 Mick F
4 Mrs Mick
5 Al Kennedy
6 Meldive
7 Ian McCurley

Thanks Ken
Another one! Thanks Ken.

Al

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.