YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

If there is some interest amongst the Southern contingent for a Nitrox course then I'm happy to run a YD course for either TDI Basic Nitrox, TDI Advanced Nitrox or a combined course.

As was pointed out on the other Nitrox thread Basic Nitrox is not a technical course. Nitrox is ideal for sports diving in the 0-30m range, which is after all where most people tend to dive.

Advanced Nitrox allows you to use higher percentages of Nitrox for decompression but is still applicable to most sports diving environments.

So who's up for a southern course?

Let me know and I will post some suggested dates.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I'm up for that, depending on the date - I've been planning to do a basic nitrox course probably in the next few weeks. The advanced I'm not sure is worth it at my stage of diving, but if it was a combined package similar to the one being talked about on the other thread I might well do it.

Tom (South London / Surrey)

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I may be interested, proividing its more accessible than the other one....one of the problems of living in 'the middle bit'

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Might be interested in advanced / deco procedures..  

Depends on location or how many would make it worth your while to do one localish.

Daz (Bristol)

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

I was thinking of doing the theory in either central London or Surrey and then we could do the open water stuff at Stoney.

Any preferences for timing? Weekdays are easy, weekends tend to get booked up (and are busier at Stoney). It all depends on whether you guys want to take a day off or do it at the weekend.

Daz, I'm up and down the M4 regularly so a session at NDC might make sense.

As for numbers, Basic Nitrox and the theory part of Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures is easy, we can do as many as are interested.

For open water sessions I usually do between 1 and 4 people. With 1 it's 1 to 1. With 3 or 4 I use an assistant instructor to keep an eye on everyone.

I will check dates and post some suggested dates.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well I will canvess opinion to see who would be interested.  

Realistically how much could be self study (prescriptive teaching).  I am thinking of maybe 3 or 4 reasonably intelligent DM/AI/OWSI students all Padi Nitrox certified looking for TDI advanced.

Also how much of the Deco procedures could be self study?

Not trying to cut corners by any means, just trying to consider options to minimise distance traveling for classroom seesions.

Daz

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Oi you impolite bar steward!

Don't be nicking my potential trainees!

Mind you.... Wast versus Stoney? No contest - Wast wins every time!

Head north - it's t'bollocks.  

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Not trying to nick anyone mate. Honest.

Just thinking about all the people from down south who would't have gone all the way up to wast.

There should be plenty of people to fill both courses.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Depends if I can get my club to sort out a BSAC course, but if I haven't gotten a solid response in the next couple of weeks, I'd be interested in taking the Basic Nitrox course.

dan.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I'm interested in doing the combined/deco procdures course, i'm booked onto a BSAC combined course at the moment but can cancel that if yours comes up earlier. Weekdays are ok cos i can bunk off university, so just looking at timing and cost really, keep me informed i'll pretty much up for it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Imported post

me and mrs. me are intending to do the Advanced Nitrox and possibly deco procedures this year, weekdays could be tricky but depends on timing and costs. Also Bracknell area, so NDC is a possibility for us too.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Sounds like there is plenty of interest.

I have suggested some dates/locatons below

Sunday Feb 22nd - Basic Nitrox - Surrey (Near Guildford)

Thur 26th/Fri 27th February - Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures - NDC

Sat 20th/Suni 21st March - Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures - Stoney

Manuals will be sent out before these dates to give you chance to do self study in advance of the course. We will then review the theory during the courses in whatever detail is required. - Daz this means we can be as efficient as possible with travel without missing anything.

For the Basic Nitrox course we can accomodate as many people as necessary so if you can make this date just send me a PM or email to confirm. The usual cost is £80 but for YD we can reduce this to £70.

For the Adv Nitrox/Deco courses we will need to check that there are enough people who want to do the date/location combinations so leave a post if these are OK so we can see the level of interest for each one.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

I could well be up for the basic nitrox on the 22nd  (that is the day after the Stoney bash though, some people may have hangovers...).

Will have to ask the wife for permission
 but I'm a definite possible.

Tom

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Imported post

Mark hi,

just wondering if you could give a list of basic equipment one would need on the advanced nitrox and deco procedures qualifications please.

Currently only using a single cylinder but am hoping to move onto twins soon but not sure if I would be on them by end of march as things keep taking my money!

Thanks

Jamie

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

The TDI course standards for each of the courses specify the minimum equipment required, I have included these below.

The key point is that you don't need a twinset for either of the courses. It's possible to do both of them with a single cylinder. For Deco Procedures you will need a deco cylinder in addition to your primary cylinder. This can be a pony cylinder.

I have access to several pony cylinders and stage cylinders which can be used during the course. Just let me know in advance so I can ensure there are enough cylinders/regs/etc.

Part of the course will consider the various options for singles/twins, deco cylinders and other equipment. So my advice is to hold off buying any new equipment until after the course when you will have a better idea of the type of equipment you need. The only exception to this is a Delayed SMB, I would recomend everyone has a delayed SMB and reel.

For the Advanced Nitrox course you will need;
1. Alternative second stage octopus attached to a primary regulator or a redundant scuba unit.
2. A submersible pressure gauge.
3. Depth gauge and automatic bottom timer and/or dive computer.
4. Buoyancy Compensator with power inflator.
5. Exposure suit adequate for the open water environment.
6. Cylinder and Regulator properly labeled and cleaned as required for EAN mixtures.
7. Access to oxygen analyzer (Instructor may supply).

For Deco Procedures;
1. Primary Cylinder(s).  Cylinder volume appropriate for planned dive and student gas consumption.
2. Decompression Mix Cylinder(s)
A. Cylinder volume appropriate for the planned dive and student gas consumption with submersible pressure gauge.
B. Labeled in accordance with TDI Standards.
3. Depth gauge and automatic bottom timer and I or dive computer.
4. Regulator(s)
A. Primary and alternate 2nd stage required on all primary cylinders.
B. Submersible pressure gauges are required on all primary cylinders.
5. Buoyancy Compensator(s) adequate for equipment configuration.
6. Jon-line and other rigging lines as dictated by site conditions.
7. Ascent Reel with Lift Bag /Surface Marker Buoy.
A. Adequate for maximum planned depth.
B. Minimum of eleven (11) kg / twenty five (25) lb lift bag.
8. Oxygen Analyzer (may be supplied by the Instructor).
9. Exposure Suit adequate for the open water environment.
10. Underwater Slate.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Imported post

Mark,

Where will the basic course be held? I don't have my own cylinder yet so I'll need to hire one. Also, I'm assuming for the basic course then you just need a single cylinder.

Cheers,
Paul

1 - 20 of 40 Posts