YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Okay, there have been loads of people recently going on about EANx - how many are wanting to do a course?

If you are interested in doing a course in the next couple of months, put your mark below. I'll contact Mr Hayhurst of Dalesdivers and see if he is willing and able to do another en mass YD Nitrox stylee....

Not sure of costs ( last time I think it was circa £80 for Basic and £125 for TDI Advanced 'trox)

Course would take place in the Lakes probably (Wastwater etc)

So let me know who is interested and I'll look into it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Imported post

I'd be interested, if you can let me know dates and prices as and when you get them please.

Andy

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I'm interested in doing the TDI Advanced, but I've got my BSAC Advanced now, so I'd need to check on the equivalence etc. before going on but otherwise I'm up for it.

Keep me posted on the details.

Digs.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Imported post

I've just signed up for my BSAC combined. But if its after april i'm interested in doing the TDI advanced depending on equivalencies etc like Digger says.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>If your able to sort out some ERD / Deco procedures course following this I'd be interested.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I asked Andy (DALESDIVER) Hayhurst for the new prices on the combined TDI Basic and Advanced Nitrox Course recently for another mate, the very course both Fiona and I undertook with him nigh-on two years ago now (19th May, 2002), and he said it was £135.00 per diver.

The Basic Course can, at the instructor's discretion, include diving; although invariably not; the Advanced course will entail 4 dives, at varying depths, dependent on the NO2 mix on the dive - 32%, 34%, 36% and 40%.

Actually, these courses are a good excuse for Yd'ers to meet for possibly the first time - indeed, though not all for the 1st time of meeting, Mrssrs Gavin and Fi Yates, Professory Stevie W, Jay (Heads Up) Bolt, Andy Tanx-a-Deux, The Lesser-spotted Davey Willo, Drifty, Ben (wee Ben - although there's only an inch in it between him and Drifty - they're both tall), Tim Ingmire (TimIng) and ruck of others on here enjoyed meals, drinks (though not too many!) and a camaraderie which we maintain to this day, which results in us going diving together regularly all over the shop. Result. The crack, and safe diving, is everything people!

The course is an eye-opener and we (Fiona and I) found it very instructive; as did our YD colleagues, above, who did the initial YD Mass Nitrox Gig (8 months later, 18 divers covered by 5 instructors cert'd over a weekend). The course includes dives and classroom sessions - the bigger the group in the class, the more you feel you're getting out of it, as someone will ask the questions that are on the tip of yer tongue and then the 'did you feel...?' questions begin; which is both a bonding thing and a reminder of those aspects of the course which stick with you. There is ample scope to ask, whilst on the course, just how it differs from other agency/school Nitrox courses - Andy will give you an honest appraisal to suit your diving.

I can't recommend the combined course enough; just got my TDI Deco Procedures course with Andy to do before any more courses are lined-up!

And before anyone asks, Andy is a PADI Staff Instructor, a TDI/SDI Regional Instructor Trainer and an BSAC National Instructor, so the advice I got from him on precisely which Nitrox course to take was genuinely impartial and based on my diving ability/experience at the time verses my aspirations. He will do the same for you.

Drifty, good luck mate and maybe see you up there for the weekend - this time I'll be making you tea!

PS: You are NOT drinking with me the night before the dives - that's what f*cked you the last time!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

I assume that there is no problem in doing Adv Nitrox with e single rec rig is there?

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Not at all Lou.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Confirmed, my twinset pillar valve got opened during transit and when we got to Wast they were completely empty! I did one dive on someone elses twins and the last dive on a spare single 12l Bren had with him.

It's worth repeating that nitrox isn't necessarily all about twin-sets and deco stops.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I'd definitely be interested, let me know when any dates are suggested. (drysuit and transport permitting)

Cheers

Conor

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Jan. 16 2004,09:40)]I assume that there is no problem in doing Adv Nitrox with e single rec rig is there?
None whatsoever Lou - indeed, Fiona and I did our Adv NO2 course on singles and BC. And from memory, Gav and his Fi did the same (I still remember the 'heated discussions'
between the pair of them reverberating around Hodge Close; the accoustics in that place really are quite superb!)

And as Professory Rankin' Stevie Walker has rightly stated - DO NOT think that the use of Nitrox is all about technical diving; it is most acceptable to qualify and use 'Trox for all the benefits it brings to your diving: extended dive/bottom times, the reduction of nitrogen in the blood, reduced chance of DCI, feeling better and less tired on/after a dive - given the richer O2 content of the gas - than when using air/21%, reduction in the instances of getting narked etc.

In other words, normal diving (as long as you adhere to the Max Operating Depth [MOD] given the mix you're using) but with rucks of extra benefits!! You can qualify on 'Trox and have no intention of ever doing a 'technical' dive; indeed, other than the slight extra cost for the mix, I don't know why more recreational divers don't use solely NO2 for all there recreational diving?!

In the [recreational, as opposed to 'technical'] depths we're talking about, there is no benefit to using 21%! Further, if you want to go deeper (i.e. in the 45 to 55 metre range), then just use a weaker mix of say 24 or 25% O2 and you can continue to enjoy that range of diving too!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Jan. 16 2004,12:49)]In the [recreational, as opposed to 'technical'] depths we're talking about, there is no benefit to using 21%! Further, if you want to go deeper (i.e. in the 45 to 55 metre range), then just use a weaker mix of say 24 or 25% O2 and you can continue to enjoy that range of diving too!
<font color='#0000FF'>Although I think and posted something similar to this yeaterday, might have been on one of the other sites, days become a blurr.  I don't know why nitrox is not taught as standard now adays, there are just so many benefits.

Afterall divers at the start of their training are only qualified to dive to about 20 metres anyway, so why not use 36% on all dives to this depth.  Just need to be a bit more carefull about bouyancy if your on walls.  I do lots of diving around Angelsey and most of it is in the 0 - 20 metre range

Although, Bren  I do think you might just be pushing 24% at 55 metres  

Fiona

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Right - looks like it could be a go-er...

Couldn't get hold of Hayho last night so I'll try again tonight and post over t'weekend with the spec.

Hopefully we'll be able to do this. As Bren said it's a great gig for the YD crew to meet up, gass about gas, drink, chill and dive......

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Amen to that, Brother Dritwood.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Phil.

I've left Andy a message and will pick this up once he is back. But keep adding your names so I can get an idea of numbers.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Spoke to him a coupla days ago: he's in the South of France teaching a course, so yes, either a text or a call will get him.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Jan. 16 2004,13:21)]Although, Bren  I do think you might just be pushing 24% at 55 metres  

Fiona
You're not kidding...

pp02 of 1.56 and narked out of your tiny mind....  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave Williamson @ Jan. 16 2004,17:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ Jan. 16 2004,13:21)]Although, Bren  I do think you might just be pushing 24% at 55 metres  

Fiona
You're not kidding...

pp02 of 1.56 and narked out of your tiny mind....  
Guys,

From your comments above, I'm guessng that you're working on a PPO2 of 1.4 - where 1.6 is absolutely permissible and useable - the US Navy use a PPO2 of 2.0; indeed, a lot of dive centres will now ask you whether you'd 'like' 1.4 or 1.6! And if the mix is too rich, simply lower the level to 22 or 23%!

Granted, if you're using weak mixes like this, then best to have a 5/6 metre hang-tank with either 50, 80 ot 100% O2 available for qualified deco. I was just trying to give an example of how Nitrox can be used to improve 'recreational' diving at these depths; and remember that there are a number of divers who considers these depths, 40-55m, as recreational - regardless of what you might consider to be OK for your own diving limits/profiles.

We all get narked, to some extent, on every dive we do - regardless of how shallow and regardless of what mix (21%, Nitrox various or Trimix various) we might use; so take the course, learn the form and know your limits.

Dive safe all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts