YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Right.  

I have been looking into getting YD diver alert cards (see thread in member services).  To do this i will need some basic details from you.  It also occured to me that since we seem to dive together in huge groups fairly often, with people arriving at different times, it may be a good idea to have peoples basic personal details on file.  
A copy of the details of people going on trips would be given to the trip organiser (with your permission) which would make the organisers job much easier, less stressful and more enjoyable!

The details i would like are:

Full name:
Home address:
Date of Birth:
Contact name:
Contact number:
Doctors name:
Doctors number:
Any allergies:

These are all the things the emergency services will need to make treating you easier.

Now this is the tricky part.  You guys have to trust me not to disclose the details to anyone.  I have no intention of giving them to anyone who is not a trip organiser and well known on YD.  If anyone objects to their details being given out, no problems at all.  I will keep them all on excel on my computer which has a firewall and is hopefully not a hackers target.

If you do want to be part of this, please email your details to me at

[email protected]

spank you.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Porg,

I am so disappointed in you!

No reference at all to more personal, personal information, such as length and girth!

Are you having an off day  

I'll send you just the information you requested.

Daz

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Bugger yeah, if you are free and single, lots of cash and insured hehehehehe.  Oh yeah, and if you snuff it, who gets your diving gear
  (all that is a joke by the way guys)

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Done.

Also added: grade, experience, blood.

James

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imported post

In view of Pierres post should you record Nationality!

I'm Mid UK, apparently.
Alan

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>The idea is good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,  but instead of holding on a database on computer, why not just have a TALLY CARD, so when a group is diving together, hand in ya tally card prior to water entry, and collect on exit.

I'll be very careful about holding peoples details on computer, if i was you, plus i see no real purpose of it ,,,,

Even if you ( PROG ) put your contact details on the card , even if the emergency services do call you after a incident , what happenswhen you are not near your computer ? .

<<<<<<   I was with jo a manger for a under 6's football team, even i wasn't allowed to hold theteam players details, apart from the parents mobile phone number / contact details   >>>>

YES, if Jay & Andy don't mind us all having some sort of YD membership card ,,,, all well and good.

But at the end of the day, all divers have a log book of some kind, so should have all personal details in that, i know mine has , and my log book is with me on every dive, plusi carry a divers personal card , that has all details , just in case i walk down the street and have a delayed bend .

BTW, what happened to ya diver dog tags
???

Andy

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I agree with Andy, a muster point - check in check out would be an ideal solution. No hassles of data protection, easily identification who is still in the water.

So maybe the best solution would be to make a YD template which could be emailed around memebers, for them to add their own details!

P.S. I don't "believe" the emergency services would acknowledge your supposed blood type, just because it says so on a card, forearm tat or any other form. If you require blood, the hospital would be advised by the emergency services and records would be checked.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have emailed the data protection people regarding the legality of me keeping personal details.  The reason i wanted to set this up was after seeing peter k in an absolute stress in Mull trying to get everyones details, making sure we could read the writing etc etc.  Think back to stoney when the incident kicked off and the frantic moments thinking that the poor diver was one of us.  People will not arrive all at once to a venue, and it would be sods law that it was that person who didnt fill in a details form and it was that person who got bent.
A tally system would be fantastic for somewhere like stoney when we had 40 odd people wandering about.
Im sure if something happens to one of us we could get the persons phone number, and if they are close to others, possibly their address but this is an easy way for a trip organiser to have all the details of the people they are diving with.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I have to agree with Andy as well, not really sure the purpose of holding information on a database.  

Surely when we have group trips, like the Mull one, this information should be co-ordinated when we meet up, we have always had a contact sheet in our club and I don't see the purpose in having anything more than this.

I did buy some of those dogtags which is only for travelling back from dives anything else just seems irrelevant to me, what would be the point of my home address being made available to anyone, I live alone.

Fiona

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ok fine, i wont bother!  I was trying to set this up to make peoples lives easier, but if the general feeling is its a no-go then i wont bother spending my time on it.  
What i will do is set out a standard sheet for you to fill your groups details in on for a trip away.  If people want this email me and i will forward it to them.
If people who have already sent me their details want me to delete them thats fine.  If you want a Diver Alert card please PM me.

helen

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ok fine, i wont bother!  I was trying to set this up to make peoples lives easier, but if the general feeling is its a no-go then i wont bother spending my time on it.
Prog ,

Don't get upset about this . reading the other comments, we are just giving our personal views, and just looking out to cover the good name of YD and yourself , in case of any legal matter that could arise.
In this day and age , you just have to be careful.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P.S. I don't "believe" the emergency services would acknowledge your supposed blood type, just because it says so on a card,
This is one reason why i haven't got my blood group tattoo'ed on my arm , like some .
The first thing that happens after an accident is the that hosptial takes ya blood for grouping ,,, etc etc and i know for one having been though it , that they take no notice on information supplied.

ANdy

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I didnt ask for blood group, only the name of your doctor and their number.  I have dogtags, plus i have to wear a medic alert bracelet which informs anyone that i have asthma.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Sorry guys, the blood group idea (red herring it now seems) was mine not Helens.

Juz

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

What is on a Diver Alert card???

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

One of my heads is Data Protection:  If Helen wants to retain personal information on a data base then providing the person who is supplying the information gives consent and I would suggest by giving the information to Helen this is consent, so no issues there..

However Helen is only allowed by Law to use the information supplied, for the original purpose i.e. to give the trip organiser for use in emergencies..  The data must also be secure if it’s on a PC I would suggest some sort of encryption, it in printed format I would suggest it be destroyed after the event..

The only issue could be the Allergies bit this could be classed as sensitive and consent has to be given in writing and not implied..  But again I would suggest that by sending Helen an email this is implicit consent..  

I think it’s a good idea as the organiser could have a printed copy on site and this would make the Tally card..  

Helen if you want any more information on the DPA email me off line..

Sean

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ratbag @ Mar. 24 2004,11:07)]What is on a Diver Alert card???
<font color='#000080'>It basically tells anyone who needs to know that you are a diver.  The British Hyperbaric Association does a good card with symptoms of bends, treatment and RN dr's no on it.  What the concern is that you may have an accident due to the bends and no-one knows that it might be the dreaded bubbles!  They may well give you entonox which is a big nono.

What we propose is to put your personal details on there too, since we dont dive in a regular club environment.  Some of us dont know eachother very well at all so the personal details seems a good idea to me.  No doubt someone will disagree!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

OK. Seems like a good idea.

What do I do to get two?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts