YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The Conception

Over the past year that I had been involved with YD I had met many members, gone on and organised the odd dive trip and even a week's holiday in the Red Sea. Everyone I had met seemed great.

But in that time as well I had also seen a number of heated bust-ups on the boards (which are always fun for spectators but frustrating for those involved). Now it's not as common here as on Handbag.net, probably because the design of the board is more personal. Then last December I organised a trip to Anglesey and a few guys who had been arch protagonists in the past (in the friendliest sort of way!) met for the first time and found that they got on quite well. We agreed that once you had a face and the real personality behind the posts it was much less likely that you'd fall out. The idea of YD-stock was born! Let's get everyone together in a central location for a right good bash!

And, as much as anything else it was a great opportunity to catch up with all those friends I'd made during the year!

The Planning

The choice of location was simple. Where could be more central than Stoney Cove? Sure, it's not the greatest venue for diving but then diving was never really the point!

I'd met Mary and Digger there in October when we'd organised a little get together prior to our Red Sea trip and they'd been kind enough to offer somewhere to sleep. I got in touch with Digs to see if he was up for it and from that moment on his life was turned to chaos! We thought we might get 20 or 30 interested in coming so thought a bit of an after dive party at Digger's place would be in order.

I suggested a suitable date that gave plenty of notice and the gig was posted in Planned Trips

Honey, I Blew Up The Gig

We didn't quite expect it to get as big as it did! Bren picked up the idea and ran with it and soon the momentum gathered. It wasn't long before we passed the expected 20/30 mark and had to revise the plans. Digger's place just wasn't going to be big enough! A function room at the pub was booked.

The wonderfully unsuitable hawaiian BBQ idea then emerged and the tone of the gig was set. Clam-shell bikinis and grass skirts were the order of the day!

The list grew and grew and Digs decided we'd better put Stoney on notice and eventually negotiated the sole use of a car park (even if it was Cardiac Hill!). The guest list soon reached the 100 mark and we had a bit of a scare when Stoney panicked a little at the prospect of 200 divers turning up together. They were soon appeased, though, with assurances that we wouldn't have that many.

The Weekend Arrives

Friday night and we got together in Nottingham for the final plans and preparation, though by that time it was all pretty much sorted. In truth, Digger had done a great deal of the work. The art of successful organisation is delegation! I'd got the souvenir T-shirts sorted with Adrian's help (but even then the manufacturer was Dig's recommendation and he couldn't help but get involved in that!).

All was ready and we went our separate ways with plans to meet at Stoney the next morning.

Mixed Feelings

Well by now you all know what happened on the day. There was no way that it couldn't have effected us and there was a terrible hour of running around trying to ensure that it wasn't one of us. It didn't help that we didn't have a definitive list of who was there, but we'd decided in advance that we didn't want that level of organisation and even with what happened I don't regret that decision. Fortunately it turned out that we had not lost anyone. And soon word got round of Digger's involvement in the rescue and I think the collective YD pride in his actions helped raise the spirits.

Everyone has their own story for the day's diving so it's hardly worth recording it here - Stoney Cove is Stoney Cove after all!

We all gathered for the BBQ in the car park. I'm not sure if anyone got any final numbers on attendance. I know I didn't get to see everyone that came but I'm sure it must have exceeded the 60 mark if not more. Not a bad effort and thanks to everyone that came! Food and drink was had while I set out my stall for the T-shirts and Woz started knocking out his spring fin straps from the back of his car!

It was a good opportunity to get to know people, and as has been said before there was a big readjustment of ideas about people we'd thought we knew! Quite fascinating. I hope there was the start to some good friendships on the day.

Beer Snorkeling

Once the food was eaten we went our separate ways - some went home but a satisfying number stayed for the evening bash. Reinforced by the Notts University Half Squadron we ended up with quite a bustling crowd. Their attendance also ensured that a bit of rivalry developed which led to the beer snorkeling race. I got dragged into it having never tried it before. For those that don't know it basically entails drinking your pint through a snorkel like a straw. Not as easy as it looks! It was a relay race, six to a team. YD won, but only by default due to Digger's interference with the opposition (not to be confused with his more normal intereference with the opposite sex!).

It was a good night all round and exactly what I'd hoped for.

It was down to everyone that came, both for the diving and the beer, that made it a success. Thanks to you all. But sepcial thanks to all those that helped along the way; Bren, Adrian, Porg, Mary and especially Digger.

YD-stock 2005

It is already being discussed with Vobster as a possible location. Daz and the Bristol Massive have already been put on notice!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Great day out. Mark, you're giving me credit for work you did, you cheeky monkey! Great idea for a bash, and good way of getting people meeting up and diving together.

Thanks to everyone who came along, who made the day, and especially thanks to those who got involved with the beer snorkelling. I'm pushing for Olympic status, I think our current record holder has to be James ([email protected]) who got a pint of cider moving in a way I've never seen before. I hadn't reckoned on that one when I held up the uni guys for 5 seconds (for an alledged hole in the YD snorkel!).

An informal way of getting YD on the map. I think Stoney will be happy to have us back next time, and will write references for the possible Vobster gig surely! How about later in 2004? Once every 6 months seems ok, it'd be a shame not to see a lot of you until then!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I'm in, when where how much?  

Nice one guys.

Bren hit me with a compliment (I think) 'you look fatter in your picture'. No comment.
Matt

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Did say it yesterday but got sidetracked with what happened, thanks to Mark and Digger for the organisation.

Once again thanks for a great day out, another one soon would be great, I don't get out much  
however I really did feel crap all day, just not used to drinking  

Was great meeting everyone, hopefully see you all again soon.

Fiona

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

what about Vivian??

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>in the sea rather than inland?

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

it weould be more difficult to get lots ofpeople on a gig like that though

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dangerous Diver @ Feb. 23 2004,16:39)]it weould be more difficult to get lots ofpeople on a gig like that though
shore diving?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Imported post

Sounds good Tom, my missus likes the sea-side

Dom

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

A beach side BBQ, the sun setting a warm glow over the evening, a guitar gently being played, wine flowing from bottle to glass, discusions amongst friends on the days diving and expectations of the morrow.

Sounds too good to be true

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Bearing in mind the things that can happen, as evidenced by Stoney this weekend, might I suggest any future 'YD-stocks' are held at a site where access to the EMS is both visible and available (as with both Stoney and the Cape) - should we opt for shore diving, then again, there will be divers and family on shore to react in the event of a shout going up.

For this reason (and working on the assumption and hope that someone will have a mobile phone), sites like Vivian and Dorothea are out - there being no infrasructure for divers and where access is, at best, 'dodgy'.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry, forgot to mention - the whole point of 'YD-stock' is to bring together members of YD for both diving (for those that want to) AND, and just as important, a social gathering which may or may not involve the imbibing of one or two polite, medium-sweet sherries.......or five!

There are those divers here who are confirmed 'only-in-the-Oggin!!' wallahs and refuse to entertain the idea of getting wet in an inland quarry - and that's fine, and it doesn't preclude them from turning up for the gig, remaining dry and unfestooned with dry-bag and simply hooking up for the social side of it.

Rave-on!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Porg @ Feb. 23 2004,19:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Feb. 23 2004,18:57)]imbibing of one or two polite, medium-sweet sherries.......or five!
do they have to be drunk through a snorkel??
No. A thong!  

1 - 20 of 56 Posts