YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Well as Mark Chase wiped the floor with Vic the Prix, it's now Mr Bren's turn.

Bren you have had me in tears today,,,,, now get back in ya corner ready for my punches from 09:00,,, seems like office hours for Vic.

Andy

Newbie Diver wants a buddy

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>And in the CLEAR VIZ corner , Mr Bren weighing in at 16 stone........

MUDDY PUDDLE corner , Mr Vic weighing in at 15 1/2 stone ( 14 of it is Bullsh** )

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Oi you lot, I need to find £ 25000 by end of the week , so here goes

5:1 vic winning
3:1 Bren winning
2:1 Chasey steps in and ends fight.

Roll up , Roll up , £ 10 to enter

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Any body got a password so I can get on the BSAC forum

I want to reply to Vic's claim to have never hounded any one on any forum.

Laugh? I nearley put my fist through the moniter

ATB

Mark Chase

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>the secret password is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  

viclovesmarkreally           all lower case ,

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Just out of interest....why is it exactly that BSAC clubs always seem to shouting out for new blood but actually dont want PADI trained people who want to go diving to join them??? It's a total mystery to me and until I joined YD I was seriously struggling with the same problem that Poor martin on the BSAC thread was upset about.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Bit like us MEN not wanting women in dive kit really ,,,,,, you look stupid in dive kit doing the washing up and ironing..... anyway, it's 22:28.... why ain't you hoovering and dusting, who gave you the right to spend 5 minutes on the net,

Jules , i don't really know ,, but we are all divers FFS, even i would dive with anyone. Even you , ( once the house was cleaned and you can prove ya no more house work to be done, )

Anyhow ,, stay out the fight and like Bren throw some punches ,, lol ,,,,,

As i see it ,, doesn't matter what agency you train under, the higher you progress makes you equal to all if you can dive and stay alive, whilst playing in the water safely.

Andy

AAWSAHAOOTW

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Welllll that got lively.

Set me off a bit on some of the other threads

Dive Safe

paul

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Julia

We have quite a few PADI divers in Canterbury Divers and i have dived with a lot this year. BSAC is aimed at putting an inexperienced diver with an experienced one, and we do that, however some branches get elitist.

I took a BSAC diver from another branch for 2 training dives this season. I am DO of a branch and an OWI and i have done about 65 dives this year, his branch DO who has about 5 dives this year and dont know where their rhib is wants him to re-do those lessons 'cos they did not take him for them.

He will probably join us or Pilot Divers in Maidstone in the near future.

Dive Safe

Paul

PS - I know where our Rhib's are cos every Sat and Sun the biggest one is attached to the back of my car.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Sep. 15 2003,22:25)]Just out of interest....why is it exactly that BSAC clubs always seem to shouting out for new blood but actually dont want PADI trained people who want to go diving to join them??? It's a total mystery to me and until I joined YD I was seriously struggling with the same problem that Poor martin on the BSAC thread was upset about.
but..... beginning of last academic year, loads of PADI ow joined our uni BSAC club, couple of weeks in we organised almost all the instructors an DLs in the club (most coming from a reasonable distance away as they've now left nottingham) for a day at stoney to do check out dives and start meeting people. Only 1 PADI guy showed with most of the rest having not bothered even to tell us they wouldn't be coming.

In this situation wouldn't you put the interests of the people who do turn up first.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Our branch lets anyone in PADI or BSAC and trains all year round. Two of our instructors got themselves PADI trained so they could go off abroad and earn a living diving.

Its a funny argument with the namecalling and everything but neither of them are actually members of BSAC or a branch and you can't really call them recreational divers either diving twinsets and rebreathers, and BSAC is a recreational diving club. From what I've read both of them have got it wrong from my experience anyway.

I'll put it down as an extension to divernet !!
They should give out chillpills with each new thread

Andy
BSAC member 729792 (and a very happy one. Keep up the good work BSAC!!)

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Sep. 16 2003,09:21)]Hi
Its a funny argument with the namecalling and everything but neither of them are actually members of BSAC or a branch and you can't really call them recreational divers either diving twinsets and rebreathers, and BSAC is a recreational diving club. From what I've read both of them have got it wrong from my experience anyway.
Andy

I think Vic is a BSAC member at the moment. He rejoined once various issues re rebreather diving practices were revised.

Vic can be very pedantic regarding what he writes, and not what we think he has written. I have followed several of his spats with people, and to be honest, I have not been able to find fault in what he says when I can follow it. When he gets 'techy' re mixed gases/ rbs etc I am out of my depth. I remeber one with Paul Oliver IIRC re the difference between entry criteria for BSAC 1st Class, and the criteria for acheiving it. All good fun

Recreational diving. Hmm. This is doing it for fun and enjoyment. Since when does using twins or rebreathers exempt a diver from recreation? Don't you use your training for recreation and enjoyment?

Adrian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Recreational diving. Hmm. This is doing it for fun and enjoyment. Since when does using twins or rebreathers exempt a diver from recreation?
A Recreational diver is a person that descends into a liquid whilst having a form of external breathing , IE SCUBA.and NOT getting paid for his/ her services, they may use any form of config they wish,, IE twins, rb's.

A Commercial diver is a person that descends into a liquid whilst having a form of external breathing , IE SCUBA or surface demand and getting paid for his/ her services, ALSO we have HM FORCES ( which commonly use RB's and twins )and POLICE and some FIRE service personnal  & Instructors ( padi etc )which also comes in this bracket as they hold a HSE quailification.

Andy

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie 2 @ Sep. 16 2003,12:09)]A Recreational diver is a person that descends into a liquid whilst having a form of external breathing , IE SCUBA.and NOT getting paid for his/ her services, they may use any form of config they wish,, IE twins, rb's.
Yep, perhaps I should have said Wetlettuce instead of Andy to avoid confusion  

Adrian

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

My view is quite simple really. BSAC's training sylabus addresses twinsets at advanced diver stage and also extended range diving. Therefore IMO at a more challenging or 'technical' area of diving.

Diving for me is recreational but there are levels and the training I do is for what I call technical diving.

Vic, being a rebreather diver, is what I would call a technical diver. I think his view of BSAC is therefore biased and his comment about the more experienced divers leaving is what brought me to comment. I am sure he is factually right about the rules he quoted in the thread but when he states that BSAC must change to keep its experienced divers my view is that BSAC must change to keep HIM as he will only be concerned with his own point of view as is only natural. I think he is wrong.

In our club I am the only guy with a twinset, and on the many BSAC courses and also mixed agency boat trips going out of Farnes and St Abbs that I regularly frequent there are very few twinset and rebreather divers compared to the number of single cylinder divers. BSAC, as an agency and as a club, rightly focus their training on this 'recreational' side of diving and the majority of branches focus on this too. There is nothing wrong with that and BSAC cannot please everyone. There are other agencies which focus on technical diving so why criticise a recreational agency?

We wouldn't criticise a Farnes B&B because its not the Hilton would we?

Horses for courses.

Andy

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

Wetlettuce

Vic and others, have been trying to make the point that BSAC is losing some senior experienced members due to the non-recognition of other training agency quals in their own right. Many of these leavers are instructors. How do you train new divers with few instructors? With difficulty

For example, forgive any assumptions I make here, you have done some IANTD/GUE/TDI training. You may have trained to use 100% oxygen for deco as part of this. So say you are qualified to use it. Yet you are diving outside BSAC safe diving practices if you do so. Any incident relating to this (or not) - the insurance company et al will be asking very hard questions of you. WHY DID YOU NOT FOLLOW YOUR (BSAC) SAFE DIVING PRACTICES? That would go down well in court...

It would not be hard for BSAC to accept and allow BSAC members to dive within their recognised training, WHATEVER training that is. And there any many stories of BSAC council members going outside the SDPs anyway, so what is their problem with allowing other agency training?

Adrian

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

Another BSAC thing is if you've done IANTD courses or other agency, you can be given the equilalent BSAC however if you do the other agency courses after you join BSAC they won't cross them across. This is really stupid in the cases of courses they didn't used to cover so you had to do another agency qualification, they then bought in thier version of the course but you couldn't swop yours across to this as you did it after you joined BSAC.

Not very well explained I'll grant you but I hope people got the point of what I was trying to say.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ Sep. 16 2003,19:03)]Wetlettuce

Vic and others, have been trying to make the point that BSAC is losing some senior experienced members due to the non-recognition of other training agency quals in their own right. Many of these leavers are instructors. How do you train new divers with few instructors? With difficulty

For example, forgive any assumptions I make here, you have done some IANTD/GUE/TDI training. You may have trained to use 100% oxygen for deco as part of this. So say you are qualified to use it. Yet you are diving outside BSAC safe diving practices if you do so. Any incident relating to this (or not) - the insurance company et al will be asking very hard questions of you. WHY DID YOU NOT FOLLOW YOUR (BSAC) SAFE DIVING PRACTICES? That would go down well in court...

It would not be hard for BSAC to accept and allow BSAC members to dive within their recognised training, WHATEVER training that is. And there any many stories of BSAC council members going outside the SDPs anyway, so what is their problem with allowing other agency training?

Adrian
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi

Ah ha and this is the point. This is down to insurance and not necessarily BSAC. I am sure that Jack Ingles quals are 'recognised' as it is because of these that he is the technical diving adviser guru whatever.

BSAC membership includes insurance and the premium is calculated on a 50mtr max depth etc etc etc.

If you want to exceed those limits then get personal insurance, as it should not be BSACs responsibility to insure you for any possible future training or equipment you choose to use outside of their remit. It wouldn't be fair on the divers who dive within those limits to pay for the few (and it is a few in the grand scheme of things) who want to progress further.

This has nothing to do whatsoever about being 'recognised' more to do with a reluctance to get your own insurance and it is pretty small minded of those that leave if this is such a big issue. I've been thinking about getting my own insurance for a while simply to improve the cover and because I am not sure whether the BSAC insurance will cover me when I dive with my own buddies and not a branch dive. I still won't leave BSAC though.

Andy

·
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mary

I would say that other agency quals are recognised once you are in BSAC, my initial Boat handling qual was RYA, that crossed over to BSAC BH.

Many National Instructors dive on a TDI Nitrox ticket 'cos BSAC did not recognise it, so they did the TDI course and still dive on that. BSAC have only just launched their Gas blending course, so have been recognising other agencies quals in their mixed gas compressor operators for many years.

On First Class Diver you have to have done the Extended Range Diver Course or an equivelent other agency course or show suitable experience of deeper than 30m diving.

Most of the blinkers are put on at branch level, and its personalities and their interpritation most of the time.

DD - How many crowbars did you count on our Rhib?

Dive Safe

Paul

1 - 20 of 27 Posts