YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Is it me, or do YDers have a particularly high bend rate? I'm not trolling, or trying to offend anyone, but how many members do we have, of whom how many have been bent as members on the boards?

I understand that most of th injuries we hear about from our members are rarely their fault (knowingly, anyway) or that they have broken many, if any, of the rules we accept as divers. Do I have to accept that rate? I know we can do a lot to prevent problems, but we've all pushed the limits a bit, haven't we? Is that why we're getting a fair few bends?

We've got 1000 members, don't we. How many bends have we suffered? Is it because of the diving we do, or maybe because we dive a lot more often than most?

I'm trying to basically work out, as I'm fairly typical of the diver on these boards, doing 50-100 dives in a year, of a fairly typical nature (except for some of my silly deep air tat) for the boards, so how likely is it I'll be off to the pot some time soon?

I was just reading the medical section, and thought about the likelihood of things. Maybe being a member is bad for my health! Joking aside, any input?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

Hi Digs,

scary isn't it, maybe we're all rubbish or something?

The doc did tell me that 1 in 3000 properly executed dives would result in a bend, no bouyant ascents, missed deco or diving after a night on the raz. However, i was having a chat with someone else who claimed to have research that put it at 1 in 600 (or 300 i can't remember, but it was <1000).

I was also very shocked to discover another diver at the pot when i was there who was complaining of an elbow pain (like mine) after an hour long 10mtr dive (like mine) doing twinset shutdowns (like mine).

clearly, there could be a lot more going on that we really understand.

The only advice i can give to try and avoid more bends is this:

- keep very hydrated, drink lots of water and get a pee valve for your drysuit.
- don't dive if you're not completely 'up for it' tired, ill, suffering from anything
- don't push yourself a tall - physically, mentally whatever, don't dive close to your limits. the sea will still be there tomorrow.
- dive with nitrox
- don't cram dives and don't skimp on surface intervals
- do as little as possible after a dive, no lifting shotlines, snorkling or football
- don't use a computer to plan dive profiles. do it on paper and add some slack into stops. the bsac nitrox tables seem to have very short deco compared with buhlmann tables and vplanner.
- anything that is unusual after a dive should be investigated. the chambers are there for us. the doctors there are very knowledgable and will be able to sort you out, one way or the other.

I get the feeling that an awareness of dci is something that divers will get *if* it's something that they feel it is important. Reading through the bsac and dan reports now is starting to get scary as countless dci producing dives will start with multiple dives, divers that shouldn't really be diving, missed stops, short stops and short surface intervals, finishing with aches & pains, pins & needles and trips with the coastguard.

still, after all of that, i ended up with very disturbing elbow pains after my first post-ban dives and ended up with another ride in the pot. Fortunately, the pains were golfer's elbow and before you ask all that O2 didn't help. Then again, neither did the new age sport doctor i went to see - i'll shove his bl00dy channeling crystals where the sun don't shine ....

gaz.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

People on this site are more likely to talk about their bends because it's a more freindly site, seems like a big group of mates.  So you hear more people talking about them,  nobody bothers reading incident reports until after you've had a problem yourself.  You couldn't go onto D/net and ask about bends without getting either slagged off rotten or a load of armchair experts telling you what you should have done.  On here it's a more personal site and you get a more personal response.  That's why more people on here know about bends.  Up until joining this i had only heard of bends through my little group of diving mates.  What would be the chances of Diggs knowing about my bend if it wasn't for this site.  Anyway, getting bent is part of the sport IMO, motorcyclists crash, jockeys fall off, footballers twist ankles (they cry though) it can't be helped sometimes.  I only need a go in the helicopter and then i've done everything the sport has to offer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

I'd agree with Dougs comments, you are more likely to discuss topics like this on YD rather than elsewhere.  Add to that a better awareness of the symptoms of DCI, so more divers are recognising that they have a problem and getting it sorted rather than keep quiet.  I think that Divers are now more aware of the fact that you dont necessarily need to do anything wrong on a dive to get bent.  
On my 22nd dive(still a trainee) I followed my instructors directions to the letter, but still got bent!

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Doug,  the great thing about the site is that people are willing to openly admit to getting bent or making mistakes and also share their experience so hopefully the rest of us can do our best to learn by any mistakes made.

The problem with polling the boards is I do not believe the stats would provide any useful info, for instance how many people on YD would vote ? 50, 100, 150,  how many dives have each of them done?,  how many dives upto a bend?,  was it avoidable?, were they diving to the limits? What type of bend?, What type of diving, what depth, water temperature, any other mitigating circumstances etc...

Without all of the information the figures are close to meaningless and will not in my opinion provide a large enough sample.  

I hope people do keep posting their experiences and hopefully we will learn from those experiences.

Keep it safe people.
Daz

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ July 31 2003,07:12)]I only need a go in the helicopter and then i've done everything the sport has to offer.
I combined the two, got bent, ride in a helecopter, only way to travel,  Happy Bunny.  It was great flying very low over the sea and the pilot said we were heading straight for a large ship, its funny after although wasn't at the time.

Fiona

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

I suppose that's the nature of the beast. I pay up my insurance because of the sport I do, and because it may not be me that gets it, it may be someone in my charge as well.

But how many benders have we got? 20? That's a 2% hit-rate! There must be more. Maybe 50. 5%! I'm going to go and read my symptoms of DCI again. Just to make sure.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Here we go, my little comment.

I agree with the suggestions Gaz made, and it is well known that telling pork pies about a condition is the often used route after a dive.

So, I take it is time to spread the word. Any abnormality after a dive must be investigated, if it turns out to be nothing then so be it. But please temper this with common sense, anybody remember this!

Have I been lucky, or just careful? I have over 2000 dives and some of these have been real cowboy events. The common kicks in and I do more that the box of tricks no my arm tells me, before surfacing.

Stay safe and remember that your limits are not the same as your buddies. So plan it carefully and dive it carefully. Then enjoy it and come back and tell me about it.

YD, it is a pleasure to be part of it.  

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

Here's another curve ball for you then diggs,

I've found from my now frequent trips to whipps cross, that the types, styles and patterns of dci don't always tie up with what really happens.

everyone talks about type 1 and type 2 dci, being skin & joint pain and neurological injuries. The 'classic' hit i think is well described by peter-k's experiences: a long, deepish dive and then lots of pain. It's how people always expect dci to hit.

from my experience, i ended up a pain that wasn't particular uncomfortable and disspeared after a while - to come back as a neurological symptom nearly 3 days later.
Clearly, this doesn't follow the rules for dci: symptom presnetations are normally <18hrs and it's supposed to be painful.

Doug's pretty much hit the nail on the heat with dci, it is part of the sport, we just need to make sure it doesn't become too much of a part.

My incidents have stopped my deeper/longer route to diving - for the time being as i can still get longer if i dive shallower and to be honest, some of the nicest dives i've had have been on shallow reefs, both here and abroad. The least nice dives have been on deep, dark wrecks.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

I'm not accepting any responsibility for my bend. I'VE GOT A PFO.  I've done longer, deeper stuff than the dive that bent me. It was just my turn, i didn't do anything wrong before, during or after the dive.  At least i've got an excuse for mine, i feel for you poor gits that don't have a medical condition to blame it on and still get bent.  I'm not talking about incident related bends, just the ones that happen for no reason.  I knew i was bent as soon as i had a niggling little itch in my shoulder, denial only makes you wait longer before you end up in the pot.  Get on 02 and get to the pot as quickly as you can.  The worst thing they can do to you is call you a hypochondriac.  See, if i'd said that on D/net somebody would be telling me how much it costs to put me in the pot and that i should feel guilty about being a drain on the NHS, i'm not bothered about telling you lot because most of you are bent anyway.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

My view is that on YD we have divers from most major training organisations with differing levels of experience getting bent at different times of the year at different depths in different dive sites so I guess its probably a pretty broad sample group so statistics are starting to rear their head.

What I leaned from my bend is that there is no magic line between being bent or not. Ever left a dive site feeling unusually tired? Yup - thats probably a very mild bend! What I'm trying to say is that I have probably had very mild DCI a number of times and only had it severe enough to warrant a trip to the pot once.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

gaz.[/quote]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was also very shocked to discover another diver at the pot when i was there who was complaining of an elbow pain (like mine) after an hour long 10mtr dive (like mine) doing twinset shutdowns (like mine).
Just a quickie, havent read the rest of the thread so I may be barking up the wrong tree but...

Elbow pain and lots unusual elbow movement (shutdowns) could be related.
Stu.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Okay, seeing as my name was mentioned earlier in the thread I suppose I should rear my ugly head.

I got caught! As to why I got caught, I still have no "one" particular reason. Hindsight tells me various reasons, all of which on there own wouldn't have bent me. It was the multiple small things that got me bent.

You, yes "YOU" will not admit to yourself that you're bent. It takes people round about you to start dealing with your carcass. We all do a sport that we love and in the back of our brains will not admit that it can really hurt us, even when we know we are hurt. It's human nature!

I have spent, as some of you know, the past week dealing with a good friend and trying to get her into the pot. She wouldn't admit to herself that she was bent and it took someone "round about" her to get her there.

Denial is a big part of getting bent. For as much as we look after ourselves, we should also look for small differences in those round about our personalities/complaints.

We are all under the impression that when we get bent we go to the chamber. Problem solved! Believe me, the after phscological effects are even worse. I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a thing I love so much can hurt me so bad.

And I'm glad to get that out my system!!!!!!!

Safe diving "all"
Peter

Straightening out the bends

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Aug. 01 2003,11:01)]I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a thing I love so much can hurt me so bad.
Now if that isn't a great title for a Country and Western song, don't know what is!!

My personal favourite title for a C&W track by the way is (and this is REALLY true!)...

"Drop kick me Jesus through the goalposts of Life"

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I once heard "Get your tongue out my mouth cos I'm kissing you goodbye" on the radio.. but I think my favourite title so far is "How can I miss you if you won't go away?"

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Denial is a big part of getting bent.
No it isn't

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 01 2003,11:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Denial is a big part of getting bent.
No it isn't
I agree with Dom.

I mean, how many YDers go diving in "de Nile".

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PressurE @ July 31 2003,19:49)]gaz.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I was also very shocked to discover another diver at the pot when i was there who was complaining of an elbow pain (like mine) after an hour long 10mtr dive (like mine) doing twinset shutdowns (like mine).
Just a quickie, havent read the rest of the thread so I may be barking up the wrong tree but...

Elbow pain and lots unusual elbow movement (shutdowns) could be related.
Stu.[/QUOTE]
Well that's what i thought, until there was a numbness in my arm a couple of days later. Jumping in the pot and finding the symptoms going, is a pretty good indicator of dci  

Conversly, going in the pot with golfer's elbow doesn't do anything for the injury

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Whilst we're on the C&W theme.....

Remember that case in the US (where else?) a few years back, when those kids played Judas Priest records (err...remember them??) backwards and claimed that they heard Satan telling them to 'off themselves' with shotguns (alas, only one of them achieved his goal)......? Remember that?

Well I hit upon the idea that if you played Country and Western albums backwards, your wife wouldn't leave you, your dog wouldn't die in tragic circumstances, your truck wouldn't get repossessed and your hooch still would remain undiscovered in the woods! Oh, and your 'achey-breaky' heart would remain remarkably pain-free.

Just a though......

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Amen to that brother.  

1 - 20 of 26 Posts