YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
I really do have a pink weight belt
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many moons ago I passed managed to pass my DM watermanship skills (I was backpacking in Oz and my blood was 90% Coolabah Fruity Lexia wine)

800m fin/snorkel swim
400m swim
15 tread float
100m Tired diver tow

Then a few years and many beers later I did the crossover to IANTD and had to do their watermanship skills

360 m swim
720m fin/snorkel
240m snorkel while wearing full equipment
540m underwater swim (full equipment)
360m Air Sharing swim

(all of the IANTD stuff was done back to back)

I completed it but it near killed me.

Question is 3 years on could I still pass muster?

All the watermanship skills above were timed. If instructors had to pass these type of watermanship skills annually or biennially (?) would we see a high drop-out rate of instructors?

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Many moons ago I passed managed to pass my DM watermanship skills (I was backpacking in Oz and my blood was 90% Coolabah Fruity Lexia wine)

800m fin/snorkel swim
400m swim
15 tread float
100m Tired diver tow

Then a few years and many beers later I did the crossover to IANTD and had to do their watermanship skills

360 m swim
720m fin/snorkel
240m snorkel while wearing full equipment
540m underwater swim (full equipment)
360m Air Sharing swim

(all of the IANTD stuff was done back to back)

I completed it but it near killed me.

Question is 3 years on could I still pass muster?

All the watermanship skills above were timed. If instructors had to pass these type of watermanship skills annually or biennially (?) would we see a high drop-out rate of instructors?
Every time I do my HSE Medical I seem to get better at the Harvard Step Test. They tell me my performance is average for a 30-year-old. The question is, Who ARE these really unfit 30-year-olds?...and should they be instructing?

·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Every time I do my HSE Medical I seem to get better at the Harvard Step Test. They tell me my performance is average for a 30-year-old. The question is, Who ARE these really unfit 30-year-olds?...and should they be instructing?
Probably me. Although I'm a gym rat, I avoid the cardio room like the plague. I probably have the aerobic ability of a kumquat.

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
"Gym fit" is a life style choice.
One that many of us do not make.

Reactions: 12480

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Wouldn't they be better weeding out instructors based on ability rather than something arbitrary like fitness?

I'd rather do a course with a chain smoking, heavy drinking gymaphobic who knew their stuff than someone that can swim up and down a pool in the best time. In fact, that's what I did do and the course was brilliant although having to keep the instructor's **** inside my light canister was a bit cheeky.

Being fit doesn't stop an instructor talking shite, concentrate on QA rather than cobblers like fitness.

Reactions: 12480 and barrygoss

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
If i tried it now i'd fail the swim without any doubt. Ive got bugger all upper body strength.

Im (relatively) fit, run 30-40k a week etc so aerobically im fine but there is no way in hell id manage to power myself through a timed swim any more.

·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wouldn't they be better weeding out instructors based on ability rather than something arbitrary like fitness?

I'd rather do a course with a chain smoking, heavy drinking gymaphobic who knew their stuff than someone that can swim up and down a pool in the best time. In fact, that's what I did do and the course was brilliant although having to keep the instructor's **** inside my light canister was a bit cheeky.

Fitness isn't arbitrary. IANTD and GUE put a heavy emphasis on it. Although they do bugger all about it in practice other than get you to sign a form.

I think fitness and skills are interlinked. You need both. I wouldn't want to get in the water with an instructor who was about to dropped dead of a coronary if he had to lift a stage.

Also what do you think SAC is related to do? Yes smokers annoyingly seem to have lower rates than the most, but get them in a current and the wheezebags soon start to regret their lifestyle choice.

EDIT: Ex-smoker so very sanctimonious about smokers

Reactions: darthmoll

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
I think fitness and skills are interlinked. You need both. I wouldn't want to get in the water with an instructor who was about to dropped dead of a coronary if he had to lift a stage.
You can tell?
I went diving the weekend before I had mine and that was over ten years ago.
Carrying a twinset about on Saturday, heart attack wakes me up at 5AM on Wednesday morning.

I think fat is bad but smoking, although stupid, doesn't bother me so much, although I've never done either so I don't get all evangelical about it.

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I think fitness and skills are interlinked. You need both.
Do you? My next course is with a guy in his sixties, I picked him based on knowledge and experience.

Today is the 70th birthday of one of our club members, most years he does more dives than anyone else in the club.

Neither would pass a swim test, both are excellent, knowledgeable and skilled divers.

When I passed my swim tests I smoked 20 a day and drank like a fish, now I drink much less and don't smoke and my diet is the best it has ever been.

I doubt I could make those times today....

Personally I would prefer an instructor who can explain things like, say, gas planning.

·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can tell?
I went diving the weekend before I had mine and that was over ten years ago.
Carrying a twinset about on Saturday, heart attack wakes me up at 5AM on Wednesday morning.

I think fat is bad but smoking, although stupid, doesn't bother me so much, although I've never done either so I don't get all evangelical about it.
Was it through lifestyle or genetic condition? I could have probably spotted the former very easy.

Yep ex-smoker so I am a PITA about it. I quit before I started diving. I don't understand people who combine smoking and diving. I don't understand people who smoke in general, and I badger the smokers in my family.

However this isn't about smoking per se. You can still smoke and perform the watermanship skills as one guy on my IDC proved to me. Although there is no time for the IDC 800m fin snorkel, I wanted to push myself. The chain smoking drill sarge, on the course, sat on my heels for 775m and then shot past me in the closing metres... git!

·
9,347 Posts
I have a young pal who chain smokes and wakes up in the night for a ***. He uses exactly half the gas that I use on any comparative dive. I believe that is because he has developed a high tolerance to CO2/CO. Does that make him a good diver? He always has a bad head after a dive. I think the test will come if he gets ill when he is older. Most of my heavy smoking contemporaries are now dead - but when you are young you don't consider these things.

I was on the top of a mountain last week and was surrounded by so many young skiers smoking that I couldn't stay there. When you are young you don't want to live past 50. When you are 65, you'd quite like another 30 years!

·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you? My next course is with a guy in his sixties, I picked him based on knowledge and experience.

Today is the 70th birthday of one of our club members, most years he does more dives than anyone else in the club.

Neither would pass a swim test, both are excellent, knowledgeable and skilled divers.

When I passed my swim tests I smoked 20 a day and drank like a fish, now I drink much less and don't smoke and my diet is the best it has ever been.

I doubt I could make those times today....
The main question for the thread is how many instructors would fail if they had to do a yearly watermanship test, not who do you want to teach you.

Personally Tom Mount would fit the criteria of being well over 60, highly knowledgeable and able to kick my ass at watermanship. So clearly you can have your cake and eat it.

Personally I would prefer an instructor who can explain things like, say, gas planning.
Easy as 1,2,3 ;)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Easy as 1,2,3 ;)
Seriously...

My point is, the guy in his sixties that I have chosen has more knowledge than his younger, fitter contemporaries, I feel I will learn more from this person based on their real world experience than i would from someone will a lot less experience who can swim fast.

So my question is... are the swim test actually important or just a throw back to military training....

·
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seriously...

My point is, the guy in his sixties that I have chosen has more knowledge than his younger, fitter contemporaries, I feel I will learn more from this person based on their real world experience than i would from someone will a lot less experience who can swim fast.
Nobody said it was fast. Just a timed test with min and max times

So my question is... are the swim test actually important or just a throw back to military training....
How about you answer my thread question first? :)

·
9,347 Posts
Do you have to be able to swim to scuba? Oops!

Reactions: 12480
1 - 20 of 105 Posts