YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting together a P-valve a la Rachael Kendall (see Amphibian Productions Female P-Valve if you're curious / interested). I've got the "me end" of the system sorted, but I have a concern about the valve end.

My drysuit has a Si-Tech balanced valve. The hose supplied to connect to the valve nipple isn't norprene but (I think) latex and seems quite soft and flimsy, like it could be easily pulled off the valve just by me moving around in the drysuit, causing a catastrophic failure (ick!). I'm loathe to glue the hose to the valve, for fear of plugging up the hose and / or valve lumen with glue. Instead, I'm thinking of taping the hose to the valve with zinc oxide tape (or similar ultra-sticky tape).

Has anyone had the hose become disconnected from the valve on their Si-Tech? If so, what did you do to stop it happening? I've tried using a norprene hose instead, but it can be pulled off the valve nipple even more easily than the supplied hose.

TIA

And yes, I said nipple.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Would a tiny tie-wrap secure it?

I don't know what causes it, but I've only had one failure and for some reason my body reaction was to decide to pee like a shire horse for the whole dive. Luckily my dive buddies are very sensitive and don't make an issue of such things, well, sort of.

You've just got to accept that swamping is a possibility!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Get some heat shrink tubing as close as you can to the hose size slide it down the hose and carefully heat it that's how its secured on my light monkey valve and I have been rough with it and can't pull the hose off is that any good

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
The SiTech uses 1/4" rather than 3/8" so therefore standard neoprene hose falls away quite easily (not to mention the increase in the ***).

I have a SiTech p-valve but I can't say I like it much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts