YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 12 year old was shot last night apparently by her Brother in an area of Manchester close to where I worked in fact it was the district Mark Davies worked in before he went off for a cushy number at the airport.

What never ceases to amaze me is that everyone seems to be shocked at these incidents, the neighbours are shock at this "tragic accident" as they are a quiet family.

Is it me ? but someone has a loaded "powerful" weapon in the house seems to be perfectly normal for some elements of our society.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
Fi,

its so commmonplace down here that it doesn't warrant more than a line in thje local rag thesedays. there was on just over 10 days ago at the end of the road- 200 yds from the front door, and another one this weekend just a little further away.

just a sad reflection of the society we live in.

banned the guns ,made them attractive to 'gangstas'

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I know the family - perhaps enough said.

I think the difference in this case is that it appears to be a couple of the kids of the household who have come across an illegal firearm somehow and in playing with it one of them has accidentally been killed. A little different - we don't get too many of those, thankfully.

Terrible things in the wrong hands, guns.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I know the family - perhaps enough said.

I think the difference in this case is that it appears to be a couple of the kids of the household who have come across an illegal firearm somehow and in playing with it one of them has accidentally been killed. A little different - we don't get too many of those, thankfully.

Terrible things in the wrong hands, guns.
Sadly they can be terrible things in any hands.

Heres hoping you never have to use yours in 'anger'.

Adrian

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK does sound a little different. but "came across and illegal firearm somehow" what they are just lying around on street corners.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
... they are just lying around on street corners.
Yeah. Three cheers for the snowdrop campaign. What a success that stupid bollocks was then??

Chris

·
Madame Wheelie-Bin
5,067 Posts
Well, following on from this thread, a 19 year old has just been shot in my street at about 5.00 this evening. He was shot in the leg, apparently!

I live in Woodley, Reading, on the airfield estate, which is the nice part of Woodley, and fairly affluent. The rumour is it's drugs related but at the moment the street is cordened off and the police aren't saying much.

Will it ever end??????? :angry:

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Mark - you know much more about these things than I but I think you should remove your comments and Adrian should ammend his quote of your post.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Will it ever end??????? :angry:
in a word no!!

is it me or does the streets of britain seem to slowly becoming driven by a gang

culture similar to america!

can we see our streets taking on a similar identity to the shootings and knifeings

that on americas streets are common place! :teeth:

it seems like gun crime is on the up as well as violent crime!

but it realy sickens me when inocent bystanders in the wrong place at the wrong

time get mamed or killed!!

i wish i had the answers but i dont !

best wishes leigh

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
Since guns have become a status symbol with some factions of society I anticipate we will be seeing more of this type of incident.:thumbsdow

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Sorry Phil - it is not a case of taking offence. Just that there will be an investigation and if Mark truely does know this family in a professional capacity it may prejudice any future legal proceedings.

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Sorry Phil - it is not a case of taking offence. Just that there will be an investigation and if Mark truely does know this family in a professional capacity it may prejudice any future legal proceedings.
How? It's a regular lazy journo's expression - "known to the police". It has no bearing on any evidence in this particular case, and in any event, defence counsel would have to prove that the jury would be sufficiently tainted or unfairly influenced by what they read on YD in order to plead prejudice; somewhat unlikely, no?

·
Bashing head against brick wall
2,105 Posts
On an impartial note, I hope, I think it inappropriate for a serving Police Officer (If that is indeed his professsion) to make a comment on a incident that has just occurred. I also think his tag line is a little inappropriate as well. I always thought the Police were there to protect life and property, not to cleanse the streets, but perhaps times have changed under the 'right on' (pun intended) Tony Blair.

I don't actually have an issue with Adrians comments, although how he would know/assume that the other poster is armed we'll never know...

If I've offended anyone, so be it.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
He knows that Mark carries a gun, because we know Mark, his job, and what that entails to a degree. And it entails carrying a gun. Simple really ;)

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Really. So the Police service in the UK is now armed! I think not.
and would you preffer the british police force to be armed or unarmed ! bearing in mind the ever increasing gun crime on our streets ! and as for marks tag line i like the idea that mark keeps the streets cleansed !!lol!

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts