YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all
My buddy and I was hoping to do our first UK shore dive this Sunday, either from Flamborough Head or further north towards Scarborough. I have being searching yd posts and found lots of info. The thing is I have looked at the Met Office website and a long this stretch of the coast the outlook is for strong winds and moderate to rough seas. If this were to change before the weekend is the sea condition likely to settle by Sunday? I was planning a recce up there before Sunday to have a look at entry points, access etc. By the way we are only looking to get in a sheltered bay, at most, as this is our first time in the North Sea together so will be checking bouyancy etc first before a look round before lugging ourselves and kit back to the car.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

John

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
I think it's worth you giving Humber Coastguard in Bridlington a call. Paul Chapman is always very helpful and can give advice on the pros and cons of the local water conditions for all weathers.
Also I understand that there are some parts of the coast where the tide runs quite swiftly causing bad vis in the sheltered bays.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frankie, The Coastguard is on the to do/check list. I was going to give them a call nearer Sunday as to when/where we were entering the sea etc. But I will call them for advice asap as you have suggested.

Regards
John

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
thorn wick bay

thorn wick bay is a scenic dive site but hell of trek to the water . maybe bit tricky with the unsettled weather weve had this week hope you get lucky mate because if you dont try you dont dive .good look let me know how you get on .... cheers ....

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
north landing

i think that the north landing is ok as long as you dont raid the lobster pots and run with dsmb dont think the fishermen are to bothered its that killer hill that gives old farts like me the willies ...

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
North Landing's a great dive. When the fisherman go home about 5pm you can usually reverse your car down to the top of the slipway and drop your kit off there, so there's only the steep steps to negotiate. Just remember to park it back in the car park otherwise they get a bit hufty.

South landing is pointless as it never gets deep. I've swum in freediving (finswimming) gear to pretty much about half a mile out and it was still about 6m deep!

By the lighthouse is a brilliant dive, at high tide you can get about 10m just off the headland, but it's a pig of a walk down the cliffs. I did it in twins once and thought I was going to die when I got back to the car.

But with the current rain we've had, and the wind this last couple of weeks, the viz will be almost 100% guaranteed to be utterly shocking.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the good info. I will keep you posted. I had a look last weekend from North Landing and Thornwick Bay and the viz was not good at all close to shore. I am not quite sure, but I think we may be on spring tides this weekend so how that may make a diference I dont know.

All the best to everyone else with their diving plans this weekend.

John

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
shore diving

all these sites are really scenic its just pot luck with the conditions if any body does get ideas about diving it give me a shout im up for it any time i love it there . just have ambulance waiting at top of hill if i make it that far

·
an unconstructed man
292 Posts
cock up

last year i dragged half a dozen fellas over to thornwick bay early one sunday morning .got there and the water was closer to norway than brid turned out got wrong week on tide tables i got a friendly kicking (which did hurt ) slagged off for weeks. reputation shot to bits and not allowed near anything technical ever again ... they still talk to me but not in the same way as before....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I dived at Thornwick Bay two weeks ago. It was the first time i have dived there but it certainly
wont be the last. The Viz was excellent and it was a very gentle dive as i dived it at Mid Tide.

If you go down onto the beach and look to your right hand side you will
see a cove. When you get kitted up head into the cove its the best way to get in and out of the water you can get kitted up right next to the cove (wish i had known this before the end of the diving ) you can walk or swim depending on the tide straight back onto the beach.

Also the local conservation society have put some steps down to make things easier to get onto the beach, it is a trek but more manageable now.

When we go back to Thornwick we are going to lower most of the kit down from the cliff in a box i have had made then all we have to carry down are the Cylinders.

Hope this is some help, and happy diving.

·
Can't dive as much as I would like!
164 Posts
Thanks for the update report. i have not had chance to consider their for a while, if your local and are going to do it regularly, I would welcome the updates of the conditions to hopefully get a dive in this season. As you will know the sea's around their can be changable and its a long drive to be blown out (From Sheffield).

Regards

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I know this thread is a bit old but I'm a regular visitor to Filey, North Landing and Thornwick Bay, I'm on holiday in Scarborough in 3 weeks time, is Filey beach near the Brigg a good spot to shore dive from, I have dropped in from a boat off the Brigg before and its a beautiful dive, just wondered about a shore dive from the beach.

Thanks

John.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts