YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been out of the water since June 2009 for various reasons.

However, when I recently thought about getting back into the wet stuff I noticed my 12L twins and AL80 stage were both out of test (albeit full of gas irritatingly).

So - I normally take the fairly long drive to Heckmondwike and get Robin Hood to do the cleaning for me, but I fail to believe there isn't somewhere better more local (to York or thereabouts) that could get the job done for me. They went out of test earlier this year, so I'm not sure if they need a visual or a full hydro, but they'll need an O2 clean too.

What would you recommend?

Mark.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Hi Mark

Last year I checked the prices of Overland in Acomb. They were the cheapest in the area. (incl RoHo and Divers W Hse) They will usually price match or such. Ok they send the stuff off and speed is not always a match for the main Yorkshire shops but they will call you when ready. Means you only have to drive a few miles rather than the 50-60 round trip.

Gary

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
Cormeton are good but no idea what prices they charge at the moment. Just had a set of cylinders back from BEH - as Leigh says the prices have gone up now so aren't as good as they used to be although they can be reasonable value.

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I took my twins and AL40 stage into O/U on the 10th May for a test and clean.

And, er, they're still there. I checked last week if they'd been done but apparently the testing centre has been overwhelmed and they're still not back.

So my question - is this usual? I don't think I've ever had to wait this long for a hydro and O2 clean (over a month) - and I know when I got them done at Otter or RoHo they only took a week or so. But I'm willing to put up with it if it's the norm now.

Glad I haven't got any diving planned for the foreseeable future otherwise I'd have been stuffed.

·
Gettin' busy with the fizzy..
708 Posts
have u tired dive celler in derby i think he does twins for about £35 to £40 then theirs the o2 clean on top which is not much i know its a bit of a drive but maybe worth it plus you could always sort out a dive in stoney when u pick them up

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
So my question - is this usual? I don't think I've ever had to wait this long for a hydro and O2 clean (over a month) - and I know when I got them done at Otter or RoHo they only took a week or so. But I'm willing to put up with it if it's the norm now.
In general or for O/U?

Can't speak for O/U specifically but I spoke to BEH in Knottingly earlier today about getting a set of mine Hydro'd and O2 cleaned - and they reckon they can turn them around in time for me to use them on the weekend.

...not a lot of use mentioning that to you now mind :)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
O/U send them to 4th element in Stockton, Steve has an arrangment with the guy there. They do take a while but Steve will push things along as much as possible, I do know that 4th E are very busy so there has been a back log for a while.

·
mmm cake shall i eat it or throw it? he he
440 Posts
best in the midlands is LP marine just off junction 13 M6 give lance a ring as sometimes he travels and is able to pick up cylinders but you may have to collect once theyre done.I had euro 12ltr twinset hydro'd painted and O2 cleaned in a week for £130.
Lance palmer,commercial diving contractor, diving technician,regulator servicing,cylinder testing (UKAS/IDEST) penkridge Staffordshire ST195RZ
tel 01785 716917
pm me for mobile and email

·
Winding up the precious since 2009
2,988 Posts
I actually dropped one of my Singles off at Capers for a test and O2 clean and dived with it for the last dive of the day, how about that for speedy service.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.