YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Team and teamesses,

I was with His Highness 2Tanks at Capernwray at weekend, and we commented on the number of people from your side of the hills - liveried dive school vehicles were travelling fron Leeds, Sheffield, Hull even.

On my side, we are well blessed - Crapenway, Ecky Delph, Devils Bridge, Ashbury (?) Lake, Anglesey and Lakes within two hours.

I wonder and wonder why there is nothing similar over your side, so I would like to challenge you to help me find one - lake, quarry, reservoir, gravel pit, river, fish farm, factory lodge whatever - perhaps in the Leeds/ Bradford/ York general area.

Perhaps we could organise trips to explore suitability of possible venues - and if I left my imagination run riot, even consider opening up as our own site.  

I expect Ecky Delph and Capernwray have cost their owners a s**t-load of money, does anybody know if lottery funds could be available for such a project ?

Or anybody willing to invest a reasonable amount of enthusiasm, time and money ? ( I would be if we found the right location )

Pls either reply to this forum or direct if you want to preserve anonymity.

Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

A lot of the lakes suffer from run-off from the peat bog hills that make up the moors - places like Hollingworth Lake are absolutely SHITE (vis approx 50cm at best!!). No quarries that I know of although I have spied a couple of mill ponds I fancy scrimmaging about in for old rubbish (keeping those a secret though!).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I did my OWIC with BSAC Yorkshire regional team and we dived in Burton Riggs Nature Reserve near Scarborough. One particular Yorkshire bsac club has the "ok" to dive there on condition they lend a hand if necessary with whatever tasks need to be done.

If you think it'd be any use, let me know and I'll check it out with the club in question but they may be a little protective as it is a nature reserve and they are using it with special permission - can't hurt to ask though (shy bairns get nowt!).

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

What about that reservoir on the moor road to Whitby? They have boating on it, why not diving (potential safety issues though)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

There are two reservoirs on the road to Whitby Steve, one is called Lockwood Beck and the other is Scaling Dam. The latter is the real big mutha with the sailing club on it. Don't know the maximum depth of either and I wouldn't really expect anyone to travel any real distance to dive them, probably have more fun in the bath....

As you know theres Ellerton Lake which is very close to where I live and can give up some decent diving apparantly although rainy weather and flooding from the Tees kills the viz... I've heard stories of 10m plus viz at times but not sure if it's only a legend spread by locals.... There are a sh*tload of big pike in there though, I've seen the pictures which actually now I think about looked decent viz...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Ellerton last weekend, Ellerton this...yes during my divemaster course (alright, I've been brainwashed into it, but what the hey I've paid now) I get to dive this gem of the Yorkshire aquatic world. You can get viz of 4-5m or so before a student hits the floor and kicks it up - after which it's not so exciting. And yes, there are big pike (allegedly). Bring your twins along Davy boy and we'll have some fun!
PS after reading the suggestion in this month's Diver that there is a mysterious creature the size and shape of a giraffe in Wastwater I'm more keen than ever for the dive.. Come on chaps!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hey Paul if you're ever going into Ellerton let me know matey and I will absolutely definitley join you, I'm wanting some serious water time with my new kit... I can only polish it and fondle is for so long before the wife starts looking at me all strange like....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

Am off to Ellerton myself on Sunday to take part in a underwater treasure hunt our club has organised for the lunatic members who are frustrated at not getting in the water.

It's partly an excuse to play with a new harness and wing setup.

For anyone who hasn't been recently, Ellerton now boasts a Sunday burger van that does a mean bacon and egg butty.

I can confirm the big pike, not that I've seen it, but I did see the look on the trainee's face when he got out the water!

Matt

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I would of joined you Matt but I'm expecting to be peeling my vomit covered face from Jays carpet some time sunday morning after a night of alcohol abuse the likes of which haven't been seen since men were men...

Any other time though.... Apparnetly night dives are quite common in Ellerton... the pike go to sleep and you can sneak up on em.... fancy it?

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Theres a place at knottingley just off the A1.  The ownership is in question adn technically i suppose you are trespassing there, although Ive never had a problem going there.  its only 6m but you can get good viz there.  There are some fish in there and a few wrecked cars, though not as many now as they pulled out about 20 last summer!

PM Geoff Woodhead who will be able to give the current situation re access and ownership.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Dave - yes Scaling dam was the one I was thinking of.

"Ellerton" & "10 m viz" in the same sentence ? there must be two Ellerton's then ;)

I've seen one pike in Ellerton, he was taking refuge (lying in ambush more likely) in the Metro, I reckoned he was about 4-5 feet long. Quite shy though and moved off rather rapidly when I got closer. I've never heard that there are more than one pike there, doesn't seem enough fish to keep one going let alone a load of them.

Curious Pike fact: like many animals, pikes are territorial, one guy found that they will go outside of their territory to "urinate" (it's not really the right term but close enuff for the forum) so that there prey don't get a "heads-up" that the predator is about, pretty cunning huh?

Chee-az
Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 1:28 pm on Nov. 28, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Steve, lads from my club go there fairly regularly and have seen many pike, apparantly on one night dive there were quite a few young ones asleep on the lake bed.

Viz is also dependant on weather as I said earlier, flood water stirs it up, but also getting away from the platforms and training areas opens up the viz quite drammatically.. or so I'm informed, if you speak to Chris Battye who owns the dive shop and charges you to dive there, he'll point you into the right areas

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

is it worth a little expedition there for one or two of us dave, and then a sample of the local hostelry?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Could be worth a trip there for a night dive then, even if only to see see more pike. I reckon I've covered most of Ell at one time or another, got to admit the viz is better than say Cawfields, but as I'm always with trainees when I'm there, I think you may understand why I've never had 10m viz ;)
We used to go there before they got the facilities in, it really has improved a lot over recent years
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

is it worth a little expedition there for one or two of us dave, and then a sample of the local hostelry?  

Well Andy my fine ruddy cheeked friend... if one were to combine a visit to some local establishments after said dives were complete then yes I would recommend it, as
a) It's a wet and any old wet will do during the hard times.
b) It means we can have a slurp and a laugh together..

So when??

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

How about one evening next week?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'll join you guys too, so long as it's not Tuesday (helping S/land in pool) or Wednesday (big celebrations so I'll be very very drunk at the time :cheering: :birthday2: :party2::boozer:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts