YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Who fancies a weekend at St Abbs from Friday 31st May (evening arrival) through to Sunday 2nd June (leaving)? Eddie is over from the Netherlands and I owe him some good diving this time!! Also, Dave is growing restless!!

What I need to know is:

1. Who wants to go (I need a bit of commitment here if I am to go ahead and book it!)
2. What accomodation do you want (Choices of Guesthouse, bunkhouse (£10 a night, 4 sharing per room) or camp site?
3. Do you want to go boat diving (about £8 per trip per diver) - again, I'll need to book the boat early.

I need to know as soon as possible so I can book the boat. I'll leave the accomodation to yourselves although I can get contact details (so I don't end up forking out if anyone drops out!!).

Regards

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Yup I'm there.  I'll camp also I think!!  Bloody #### 2tanx, (says the drill instructor) have you gone completely mad!!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Yup I'll be there, maybe not for the whole weekend but definately Saturday and maybe Sunday too.... I'll have to see how many pennies are left over after the Oban trip....

My brother will no doubt tag along, don't bother about accomodation for us, but if your hiring a hard boat then warm two bum places up for us....  :biggrin:

just so Andy doesn't look too insane we'll probably be bringing a tent as well....
Fortunately, the incessant farting of our kid should be more than adequate to dry out any equipment over night and keep the tent at a fairly high ambient temperature, altho you may not want to sit down wind of us the next day...

looking forward to this one guys n gals  :thumb:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Yep We will be there too... put me down for two places for Saturday, not sure about Sunday as its the missuses b/day, We arrive in the UK on the Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

It must be FATE!! Phoned the boat just now and he was fully booked that weekend UNTIL this afternoon when 6 divers cancelled so I booked 6 places for the Saturday and 4 for the Sunday!!

We're all going to Scotland!!

DON'T ANYBODY DARE LET ME DOWN AFTER THIS!!!!

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Lol!! Don't worry Jay, even if it means spreading my arse over six places, the boat shall be full.... :moon2:

But I wouldn't worry, as so far we have a confirmed six for the Saturday, what with Eddie, Eddies mate, Andy, yourself, me and our kid, and we haven't even heard from all of the others yet, so I don't think you'll have a problem Jay, except maybe stopping all of the squabbling about who's getting on the boat first  ;)  

Fortunately Abbs gives glorious shore dives too, so there shouldn't really be a problem there. And if we have enuff numbers turn up, then we can easily rotate, some do a morning boat dive and then swap over for the afternoon dive.

As for those who require some overnight lodgings I would suggest making arrangements soon, as places might fill up quite quickly. I wouldn't worry too much about having to be right on top of St Abbs if this effects finding somewhere to stay, I reckon there will be plenty of places within say 10-20 mins drive of Abbs itself. Although if everyone could get close to each other it would help on the ale drinking/back slapping part of the weekend :cheesy:

Jay, maybe the captain who had the boat cancellations might know of somewhere to stay, or maybe they also cancelled their lodgings too.....

Is this boat captain called Billy who has a house right next to the harbour wall?? if so, his bunk house was really nice and only a tenner a head with all facilites.

Anyway.. well done mate... :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Yep, its Billy - he has lodgings on the harbour side for £10 a night - his telephone number is (018907) 71288. He has some places free at present so call him soon if you need to stay over. I'm staying at the Scoutcroft campsite (where the dive shop & compressor is!!)

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Whats Scoutscroft costing Jay, are you taking a tent there or grabbing a caravan? It might be the most convenient place for all of us to be there, and it has its own drinking establishment too I believe, or there are a couple of local watering holes in the village itself if needed....

Hmmmm I sound like a bit of an alcoholic don't I.... Its for medicinal purposes only.. honest guvnor....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Bad news I'm afraid, my mate has dropped out, but I am looking for a replacement! I will know A.S.A.P. but I am still going.. B.T.W, does anybody want me to bring anything over with me? Dutch Gin,Beer, or how about a Zak patat met Mayo Dave? let me know well before time..I am coming over in my own car and bringing everything with me, so please can someone find out about the filling of my (6 months old) Dutch tanks?

(Edited by Eddie at 8:44 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Yeah but hold the Mayo, I'm on a diet ;)

As far as getting your bottles filled Eddie, Scoutscroft have a self fill machine with whips for both A-clamp and DIN, 300 bar fills are catered for, you just drop in yer 2 quid and go.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Oki doki Dave! Cheers for the info about the filling station, do they take Euros??? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Dave Williamson on 6:03 pm on Mar. 6, 2002
Is that a DSMB & Reel each or buddy pair?
<span =''>

Each - in the unlikely event of a buddy pair getting split!

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Wow! thats serious.... well I'll have to either cancel or not go in the boat, as we only have one setup for both myself and our kid, and there is absolutely no way I can forsee being able to afford to buy another setup just to go in Billy's boat... Not at this moment thats for sure.... Now I'm aware that every diver should carry one and agree that this is correct procedure, but I also think that a redudant air supply is in order too but i can't afford that either....  

Jay, do you remember the Geordies I mentioned in my St Abbs trip report, well these people were diving on Billy's boat (that how I came to meet Billy and be shown around the bunkhouse)and we were parked right beside them too, watched them kit up and actually discussed equipment with them and I don't remember seeing reels hanging of all of them as they left to climb aboard the boat... and this happened twice as we spoke before the second dive also (infact we were invited to go on Billy's boat but declined cos we were strapped for cash, altho this invitation wasn't from Billy but from the divers themselves as there were spare places cos some had dropped out)
Do you think he might relent and let us dive as pairs?

Does everyone here have their own reel and bag?

If he won't then it won't actually stop me from coming to Abbs for the weekend, just stop me going on the boat( I want to see the guy who wears that wierd hat with flaps   ;)   )

Regards
Dave the poor....

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

You'd best ask Billy himself - number is (018907) 71288

BTW guys, I have just received the following email from Scoutscroft:

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]'We do accept tents on our site,  The charge per night is £9.50 per tent.  We
do not take bookings for tents, it is a first come, first served basis.  If
you would like a brochure sent out in the post please do not hesitate to get
in touch.

Kind regards

Scoutscroft'
<span =''>

so we'd better get there early on the Friday!!

Regards

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Problem resolved Jay,

I can get my hands on a DSMB bag and Andy is lending me a reel, so in the inimitable words of Murray Walker...
"Its..... Go! Go! Go!"  :dance:

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

Glad thats sorted out - what sort of dives does everyone want to do? Choices include:

1. Boat dive to 20m to the reef off St Abbs harbour (done this one myself and there are some great 'Dead Mans Fingers' canyons to dive through)

2. Shore dive off the harbour wall (ask Dave about these)

3. Dive the Glanmire (wreck at 28m) - not done this yet but really want to!!

How about a combination of all three? We have 2 boat trips booked per day so why not dive the two early dives (9am and 1pm) from the boat and then do shore dives late afternoon? I am up for 3 dives per day if anyone else is and am happy to stay overnight on the Sunday to continue diving on Monday (as it is a bank holiday!!).

By the way, does anyone have an underwater camera so we can post team photos on the board? I will bring my digital camera along for the surface photos. I am really looking forward to this one and, if it goes off well, we will do a load more during this summer.

Link here for any further suggestions. Its OUR trip so please suggest what you fancy doing.

Regards

1 - 20 of 55 Posts