YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to diving having just completed my AOW and a coupple of specialties.
I took the plunge last week and ordered full set of diving kit for both myself and my wife Collette.
Included in the order was two 12L Faber Cylinders and a 3L Pony cylinder , the question I have is that when the Cylinders arrived they all had the following Stickers on them .

Green - Compressed Gas
Yellow - Oxidizing Agent
White - Nitrox ;EANx ;N2/O2
Tank & Valve have been cleaned for Premix , Oxygen content 22 to 40%
Refill only with approved Grade of gas
N2/O2 NITROX N2/O2

I contacted the supplier and they told me that all cylinders were now sold like this and that I would have no problems having them filled at diving centres with ordinary air . ( as I do not have nitrox qualifications )

Would really appreciate your input on this matter.
Thanks Mike

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
You only need a Nitrox qual to buy Nitrox.
Many qualified divers still dive with air on occasion, if you intend to take the Enriched air spec and use the cylinders for nitrix within the next year, then just ensure that you get fills with clean air otherwise you will need them cleaned before use with EANx.

hth
Paul

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
if you fill with ordinary air then it is not recommended to fill them with nitrox untill they have been 02 tested again.
if you fill with clean air then you may at a later date use them for nitrox untill the o2 clean runs out.(every year)
if you only use air then they will need a test in about 2.5 years.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You've got O2 clean cylinders, which means they can be filled with nitrox. O2 clean cylinders are meant to be cleaned every 12 months with a new sticker date stamped attached so that filling stations will fill them with nitrox if requested.

My advice is get nitrox trained asap. Its quick, and relatively inexpensive. And you can do it now.

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just had Cylinders filled , could have put normal air in but decided to go with clean air as that will not affect the O2 clean and if I do the Nitrox course within the next year all wil be good , thanks for everyone that gave me advise really appreciate it .
Cheers Mike

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
No it doesn't, it says premix only and very few places will do that.
I have to say I agree. What you have is NOT, repeat NOT an O2 clean sticker. You have a sticker that says you can fill with premixed Nitrox. Most places in the UK don't mix like that; they give it a squirt of O2 and follow up with clean air in proportions that render the resulting mix a % of nitrox as requested by the customer.

That said, it's probably O2 clean anyway as it's new. You probably could have had an O2 sticker for a tenner from the shop :D That doesn't help you now though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.