YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
My favourites

For me this is an easy answer

It's got to be Hanifaru in Baa Atoll - ok, so it was a 10 m deep sandy bowl pretty much, but with 3 whalesharks and about 20 mantas circling us for an hour was truly magnificent

2nd place would be Maya Thila night dive, hunting sharks, turtles and morays all over the shop.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kuda Rah Thila...

...because I've not done that many and it was absolutely FANTASTIC. A coral block in the middle of nowhere teaming with fish. Very Very pretty.

·
New member? What was wrong with the old one?
514 Posts
Miyaru Kandu in Felidhoo Atoll. 30 or so grey reef sharks, half a dozen white tip reef sharks and about 7 or 8 eagle rays. My avatar photo was taken on that dive :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Felidhoo Atoll!!!! Miyaru Kandu one of my fav's. Had countless number of Grey Reef a few weeks back! Amazing vis. Nice avatar pic!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
Hani Faru; 2009 we had 65+ mantas and an 8m whale shark, the year before we had more manats than you could get in frame and 5 whale sharks for over 2.5 hours - mind blowing.

The secret about Hani is now out and it's getting alot of press which will mean more people will want to head to the site; this must be monitored as it cannot have a negative impact on the manats/whale sharks - I'm glad I've been there before it became a 'tourist attracction'

Kuda Rah; a beautiful site with solid walls of blue fusilers for the wall to part and a wall of yellow and then the sharks came and stayed for the duration.
Been going to the Maldives for the past 10yrs and each time you think you've had the best diving and then comes the next trip and again you get blown away...awsome!

Off to Huvadho later in the year so looking forward to some new sites - can't wait
Happy diving
Kasha

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi
Hani Faru; 2009 we had 65+ mantas and an 8m whale shark, the year before we had more manats than you could get in frame and 5 whale sharks for over 2.5 hours - mind blowing.

The secret about Hani is now out and it's getting alot of press which will mean more people will want to head to the site; this must be monitored as it cannot have a negative impact on the manats/whale sharks - I'm glad I've been there before it became a 'tourist attracction'

Kuda Rah; a beautiful site with solid walls of blue fusilers for the wall to part and a wall of yellow and then the sharks came and stayed for the duration.
Been going to the Maldives for the past 10yrs and each time you think you've had the best diving and then comes the next trip and again you get blown away...awsome!

Off to Huvadho later in the year so looking forward to some new sites - can't wait
Happy diving
Kasha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Kasha,

I've dived Hanifaru for the past 10 yrs every year. Never changed a bit at all. I uploaded the video to youtube from one of my teams trip in 2008. That was before it got famous and got 'discovered' by someone else. hehehe. I'm pushing the govt to do something about the place for this years season. Maybe get the Coast Guard to police the area and control how many boats can dive there per time.

Kuda Rah Thila is one of the best sites to dive early in the morning...usually with an incoming current. Huvadhoo has a lot of good sites. Will be diving Huvadhoo atoll sometime in july this year.

Best fishes

Shaff

·
Registered
424 Posts
fave sites

hi
donkola [maybe spelt wrong] as that is where my profile pic was taken i had for about 20mins my own manta hovering just above me and at times touching my hair....cool or what?

and fish head as my all time fave fish is the neopleon and once again we had our own private meeting with the resi large friendly neopleon. when we first desended we saw him straight away but so did everyone else and you just couldnt get any where near him so we went off on own own but after about 20mins we came across another smaller neopleon in a overhang and then i couldnt believe my luck when the bigger one came and spent his time just inches away from my face....amazing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi
donkola [maybe spelt wrong] as that is where my profile pic was taken i had for about 20mins my own manta hovering just above me and at times touching my hair....cool or what?

and fish head as my all time fave fish is the neopleon and once again we had our own private meeting with the resi large friendly neopleon. when we first desended we saw him straight away but so did everyone else and you just couldnt get any where near him so we went off on own own but after about 20mins we came across another smaller neopleon in a overhang and then i couldnt believe my luck when the bigger one came and spent his time just inches away from my face....amazing
Dhonkalo Thila is great this time of the year! There are loads of mantas there at the moment. The currents are a bit strong but u can just hang on and watch them. Fish Head...the 2 napoleons are still there and as crazy about the divers as ever!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Another for Hani Faru, we had 100's of Mantas, so much so you could not see the surface when sat at 10m :teeth:

There are marine biologists monitoring the mantas to make sure that any increase in boats/divers does not interfer with the mantas.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dhonkalo Thila is great this time of the year! There are loads of mantas there at the moment. The currents are a bit strong but u can just hang on and watch them. Fish Head...the 2 napoleons are still there and as crazy about the divers as ever!
thats great to hear, i tried down load couple pics with me and the neopleon but for some reason cant do it??? any tips

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The environment ministry is going to be monitoring the site this season. The marine biologists are just studying them. I'm planning a lot of trips to Hanifaru this time.

Another for Hani Faru, we had 100's of Mantas, so much so you could not see the surface when sat at 10m :teeth:

There are marine biologists monitoring the mantas to make sure that any increase in boats/divers does not interfer with the mantas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Try resizing the image then u might be able to upload. Join Aqua Dreams Imaging fan page on facebook. You will be able to see a lot of my pics from all over the Maldives.

·
Registered
399 Posts
hi

Love them too - here is a very curious example!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
actually - here he is again, And as I recall this was on a Maldives liveaboard..... hmmmm, I'm pretty sure it was on fish head now I come to think about it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep....that's the Napoleon @ Fish Head. Locally known as Mushimasmigili Thila. A marine protected area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts