YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
My Nark is much worse that my Bite!
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

For years I´ve always wanted my own boat. I´ve just been offered a 3mtr Avon and 3.5hp Johnson outboard for 650€, mint condition [ you´ve gotta start some where ] A nice little outfit for inshore fun.

Would it be possible for two people to do shallow dives from this rig...ie less than 18mtrs ?

G

·
Imported post

I reckon 5m is the smallest practical RIB size for general use outside sheltered waters but as long as you can physically fit you and your kit in I can't think of a good reason why you can't use a smaller one for inshore sheltered waters.
It is certainly better than no boat

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Would a third person be needed to stay up top as a boat handler / surface cover?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Scubadog
Using it as a dive platform yes the boat sounds ok, however with all the usual kit on board the engine sounds a bit underpowered!!! even for what youre anticipating its being used for. Be more realistic with a 20hp I think just a personal opinion.
Presume you'd be talking about a cox and 2 divers???

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ April 22 2004,22:22)]Would a third person be needed to stay up top as a boat handler / surface cover?
Naahhh,  tow it around as a SMB.

Problem is some pikey will probably try to nick it and that could come as a bit of a shock if you happen to be at 30m

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Scubadog

I see your in Spain so some sheltered waters msy be fine with this size of boat, but I would remember you need some sort of safety equipment to go with it. You may not want to start getting radio etc. but oars and some flares at least would be a start. I also think the engin will struggle with weight in the open sea to make progress. I don't think you need loads of horses, but I would have thought 10 would be more realistic? Bigger ones will start to get heavy for that size of boat and need external fule tanks. I would wait for something more suitable. It's not a bargain if it's not up to the job.

James  

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Personally I feel a 3.5 horse motor way to undersized.
even in sheltered waters a wind can come up and put a slight chop up and then youll be hours getting to go anywhere. the minimum I would put on any boat is 7 hsp.
i feel being overpowered is better in any situation
Steve

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would a third person be needed to stay up top as a boat handler / surface cover?
NO clip ya reel off onto the boat and use it as a SMB  

Isn't there a skipper in Dover that has done that from his hard boat  ?
  all divers in , then he kits up and shoots down the anchor line  ............... OHHHHHHHH

G

·
Imported post

I have a 3.5hp as my aux motor and it will push a fully loaded 5m+ rib along at 4.5knots with me on board and 3.5knts with 4 and full kit.
It may not be the ideal package but it would do for diving close to shore in inshore sheltered waters. I wouldn't go anywhere offshore in something that size or power.
I actually do know someone who dives with the RIB as an SMB on a long rope.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts