YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok heres my question !

firstly does anybody have any info regarding youth hosteling in general any hints

or tips would be good ?

im diving the farnes on the first weekend in june and then eyemouth the weekend

after and thought it pointless traveling back to yorkshire and fancied staying at a

youth hostel near to st abbs !!

The prices are good and close to the sea so i can do some walking whilst im up

there !

And maybe get some extra diving between the 2 weekends away should i want
it ??

cheers for any info best wishes leigh

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
If you are thinking of doing that, why not book yourself into the youth hostel in Inverary on the shores of Loch Fyne probably couple of hours drive maybe 3 maximum from St abbs not close I agree but, You'll get good walking in up there, some pretty good dive sites within easy driving distance, Inverary Caravan park has a compressor for fills. George Hotel does superb food too.

I finish work 6th June so would be able to dive 7 and 8th June.

HTH

Gareth

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi ya gareth

thanx for your thoughts, but the b+b is within throwing distance of eyemouth !

hence me thinking of it !

and their is plenty of scope for dfferent dives too !

i just wondered if their was any advice from people who had stayed within the

youth hosteling envioroment, advice and tips:angel:

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
personally I've got nothing but praise for the YHA and its establisments. My only tips would be:

try and book as far in advance as you can.
Be prepared to muck in with the cleaning up after yourself.
Have a good time. :teeth:

Keith

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for that keith !
and yes ive no problem mucking in either !
i think another reason i wanted to stay in a yha establishment was so that i could also meet new people and interact instead of being in a hotel on my own if ya know what i meen !
best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
Taking on the jellies
143 Posts
my family and i use them all the time in the summer, cheap accommodation and the facilties are great, we have never been to one that we did not like yet.

Tips as already said book in advance, bring flip flops might just be me but i am always wary of shower cubicles :>

Flip

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your not independent just yet :teeth:
cheers dave and gareth for the input !

ive not made any descisions yet about what im to do as i mite have to work between the weekends away !
so may have to come back to yorkshire ! :teeth:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you are thinking of doing that, why not book yourself into the youth hostel in Inverary on the shores of Loch Fyne probably couple of hours drive maybe 3 maximum from St abbs not close I agree but, You'll get good walking in up there, some pretty good dive sites within easy driving distance, Inverary Caravan park has a compressor for fills. George Hotel does superb food too.

I finish work 6th June so would be able to dive 7 and 8th June.

HTH

Gareth
???

Isn't there still a Youth Hostel in Coldingham, (next door to St Abbs) we have used it in St Abbs weekends and its in close walking distance of the village for a pint or two.

Gary

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
I stayed overnight in the Youth Hostel near Thurso so I could catch the morning ferry to Scapa. Simple, clean and inexpensive. Youth hostels are nothing like they were thirty years ago when you had to do your allotted 'chore' before departing. Many provide food, and you don't even have to wash up. Duvets are the norm for sleeping.

hth, Phil

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ear Plugs

Just a suggestion,

You might end up in a shared dorm (actually can be quite good fun)

however, I was hosteling in the lakes 2 weeks ago and the guy in the bunk above was snoring something like a cross between a machine gun and a compressed air drill, never heard anything like it!!

Therefore can I suggest taking some ear plugs, just in case :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts