YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my Google home page the "word of the day" is CUSPIDOR! I'd really rather not have read the description. :(

That reminds me of a mate (going back to when I were a lad when it was cool to slap one's thigh and give a hearty laugh and women suffered with "the vapours") who was in the tavern but short of a farthing and was bet he wouldn't take a sip out of the spittoon. Anyway, he didn't just sip it he downed the lot.

He was later heard to remark that "I only wanted to take a sip but it would only go down in one lump"!

Now get that image out of your minds!!!

:)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you can not just leave us hanging :frown:
Erm ...........

cuspidor(noun) A receptacle for spit (usually in a public place). Synonyms:spittoon Usage:Louisa was revolted when their mysterious guest coughed, spitting mucus into his already brimming cuspidor.

If the above is the info you were hanging about for you would probably have preferred to stay hanging!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today's word is "tremulous" which is quite a coincidence because that's just how I feel after reading that last reply! :)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Finless said:
Today's word is "tremulous" which is quite a coincidence because that's just how I feel after reading that last reply! :)
i know i am going to regret this but i need to know what it is :embarassed:
It's a good job I am garrulous in a typing sort of way!!!!!! :)

Shaking; shivering; quivering; as, a tremulous limb; a tremulous motion of the hand or the lips; the tremulous leaf of the poplar. ...

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Any male with proper testosterone levels should know what a cuspidor is due to endless Saturday afternoons watching westerns on BBC2 (or C4 if skiving off work).

Dean Martin fishing a dollar out of the saloon's cuspidor so he can buy a drink in Rio Bravo... classic...

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Any male with proper testosterone levels should know what a cuspidor is due to endless Saturday afternoons watching westerns on BBC2 (or C4 if skiving off work).

Dean Martin fishing a dollar out of the saloon's cuspidor so he can buy a drink in Rio Bravo... classic...
I don't recollect the word cuspidor ever appearing in any 'Western' I've watched, let alone, Rio Bravo.

Now what was the name of the kid who was given a sawn off cannon because he no good with a gun but, obviously, good with a knife ............ started with TR or had a BO..... in it?

[edit]Just been Googling for the character names and I don't see .............. maybe I have my movies crossed?

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
That would be Alan Bourdilion Treherne, aka Mississippi, in El Dorado, played by James Caan.

Rio Bravo and El Dorado are pretty much the same John Wayne film with different support, Robert Mitchum playing the alcoholic in El Dorado, Dean Martin in Rio Bravo.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That would be Alan Bourdilion Treherne, aka Mississippi, in El Dorado, played by James Caan.

Rio Bravo and El Dorado are pretty much the same John Wayne film with different support, Robert Mitchum playing the alcoholic in El Dorado, Dean Martin in Rio Bravo.
That'd explain it then! :)

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
finless
what is todays word of the day
You are in luck. I will answer your question because I'm feeling magnanimous
(adjective) Courageously noble in mind and heart.Synonyms:greatheartedUsage:Then he imagined how, after the attack, Bogdanich would come up to him as he lay wounded and would magnanimously extend the hand of reconciliation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.