YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>We ended up on Herman Künne again - one of my favourite wrecks. The wreck starts at shoreline and goes down to about 40 meters, the total length of the ship is about 110 meters. While the bow is all crushed you can see that the stern is intact and makes a rather dramatic backdrop. I like.  

Still winter up here as is evident in the pics taken in the shallows. The ice is wafer thin and it's shifting about, so there's no problem going straight up should the need arise.

This is one of the wrecks that the Narvik-guys will be doing.

Still fiddling about with photoshop so comments on execution are welcome.

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

"This is one of the wrecks that the Narvik-guys will be doing."

Yes, and we want vis just like that, please.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Mar. 06 2004,17:30)]Yes, and we want vis just like that, please.
<font color='#0000FF'>No prob. Will arrange!  

Actually Herman Kunne is one of the places you'll get very good vis most of the time. Last summer when vis was crap and got below 10 meters they had around 40 meters at 40 meters! I've experienced funny layers which have to be penetrated before getting to the good stuff. I tried getting a pic of one layer at 20 meters last Thursday. You'll see the wreckage "sticking through" the silt or whatever it is. Actually it seems like it's coming from the wreck itself. Hopefully it's not toxic  
:

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre

Every time you post i know i will be green with envey

Yet again i am, top pics mate, wish i was on the Narvik trip

Dive Safe

Paul

Do not post when pissed. do not post when pissed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre

Great photos. Can you give us a bit of history about the wreck and how it got to be where it is

Steve

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve L. @ Mar. 07 2004,10:49)]Can you give us a bit of history about the wreck and how it got to be where it is
<font color='#0000FF'>Z-19 Herman Künne was one of the Zerstörers that took part in the battle of Narvik on April 9., 10. and 13. 1940. Having spent all her/his ammo fighting the British/Norwegian forces it was run aground and scuttled/blown up. There are some discrepancies regarding how she came to this. HMS Eskimo claims she hit Herman Künne with a torpedo but that does not fit in with the German accounts.

In the Narvik basin you can find three other Destroyers in more or less the same state. I went diving there last Friday and was once again quite amazed by what's left still. These ships goes from 13 down to about 24 meters.

Kyrre

1 - 6 of 6 Posts