YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Im going to Zakynthos in a few weeks and want to do some diving, the internet has turned up several dive operations there but im wondering if anyone has been and knows of good ones (or ones to avoid) ?

Also are the dives likely to be OK for a newly qualified ocean diver with only about 20 UK sea dives logged ?

Is it worth doing a PADI AOW course while out there?

Im aiming to take my own kit as much as possible, mask, regs, fins, snorkel (not for diving), BCD but is it worth taking my DSMB, knife, torch and accesorys as well?  (ive never dived abroad so no idea what the kit and procedures used are).

EDIT: -

Sorry for duplicate posts, kept flashing up internal server error, said retry but it seems it was posting all along.

Any way to delete posts?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Zanti land of very very big turtles.

I went there a couple of years ago. I would say its no problem for a new diver but the water is not warm so take a 5mm wet suit min. Most if not all of the dives are going to be off a boat and we had some nice bimbles around a little islend off the main islend which unfortunatly I have forgoten the name of.

I snorkled with a giant turtle which was so amazing I forgot how long I had been out there and got sun stroke.

Have a great time

Mark Chase

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

No specific information about Zante but I've dived various other locations in the Med.

Unless it's very different from anywhere else in the Med, you'll find the diving a breeze from what I've heard about UK diving. Viz is usually 20 Metres minimum, I've seen upto 50 Metres. Currents are virtually unheard of during the summer months unless you get a lot of wind which can stir up the shallows a little. The chances of losing your dive boat and coming up in the wrong place are virtually non-existant.

As for the AOW course, these usually seem to be cheaper than here in the UK, probably due to the increased volume of people taking them. My understanding of the AOW is that it's about building up experience in various specailities, deep diving, night diving, blah blah. I'm currently OW and I'm looking to transfer across to BSAC Sports Diver as this seems to be more useful. I guess it depends which specialities your going to do on the AOW.

In terms of your acessesories, a number of people I've dived with had their own knives, torches, etc. Similarly you can hire most stuff as extras if you find your missing something while your over there.

Hope this is useful

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>just delete them Rich.
Top right hand corner of the post.
next to the the Edit/Quote buttons.
Cheers
Bob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts