YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of Porth Colmon (Llyn Penninsula) this morning and decided to dive a reef that is a bout a mile offshore. Viz didn't look to be promising much but we gave it a go anyway. Once in and after we started our descent, the viz was about 2-4 m all the way down to the 12m mark, then it was reduced to zero and I mean zero by the time we got to the bottom at 28m. There was a lot of suspended silt in the water. We put up a DSMB and canned the dive as I could barely see my buddys torch let alone a silouette of him.

There wasn't much evidence of plankton in the area, but what was evident was patches of brownish water, even a mile or so offshore. It hasn't been blowing much in the area or there hasn't been any high run-off from the land as it hasn't rained in over four weeks. The only other plausable conclusion that we came to that someone had been dredging for scallops in the area? Is this possible? Any other plausable reasons?

Irfon

·
"Look mate, the problem's between the user and the
2,711 Posts
Hopefully it aint the shit from Edinburgh waste processing works spillage!! Can tidal movements get it down that far and so quickly?
Yaz,

wrong side of the country!!!
:D

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
i think the viz is shite all over the place at the moment. I have just spent a couple of days diving in Swanage. Apparently, we were put in on the Kyarra. Twice. All I know is that we were put on the same wreck twice because i recognised the place where the shot was tied in. Apparently, today was better than yesterday because the skipper could see fins on the lift. :frown:

·
Wannabe Lotto Jackpot Winner..!
941 Posts
Viz was just the same out of Blyth yesterday, about 2-3m viz from 0m to 12m but after that it was blackout with heavy silt. Was the same Good Friday further down the coast at South Shields.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
i think the viz is shite all over the place at the moment. I have just spent a couple of days diving in Swanage. Apparently, we were put in on the Kyarra. Twice. All I know is that we were put on the same wreck twice because i recognised the place where the shot was tied in. Apparently, today was better than yesterday because the skipper could see fins on the lift. :frown:

It really was poo over the weekend wasn't it.

Still it was worth going out on Friday as I got to meet you :teeth:

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I hope the vis improves in Swanage for Friday / Saturday! Fingers crossed!

Anyone else around over the weekend?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I hope the vis improves in Swanage for Friday / Saturday! Fingers crossed!

Anyone else around over the weekend?
Yep, I'll be there si, :wink:, bit of a bloom following the sunny settled period, easterly winds didn't help on fri/sat and the viz was pants down here, did the kyarra at 1430ish this afternoon and reports were less than a metre:frown:
the good news is........................ I'm gonna kip till about thursday,:sleep:
me legs ache, I dropped a cylinder on me foot, my poor "now hands that do dishes" aint gonna be as soft as anyones face for the next few months (*!$^*+! ropes) and of course dear old diesel :teeth: yes, all in all, it's good to get back at it, the viz will improve soon (?)
see you on the pier,
mike.

·
Still wet behind the ears ;)
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just returned from trefor pier and there was 6m viz there.
Was ther much life there? I haven't dived it since last October, but I hope it holds out until Wednesday, we've got a club dive with some trainee ocean divers then. I know they'll be devastated if it's called off as it will be their second open water dive. The wind doesn't seem to be forcasted in our favour though:frown:

Irfon

·
Registered
219 Posts
Plenty, couldn't tell you what as i'm useless in identifying marine life. One of our club members is a walking fish book but he wasn't there today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts