YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in Missus Woz's Zest magazine (health diet fitness, look, feel 100% confident) which is usually full of articles about hypnotherapy, lip gloss and sex avince, it had a brief article about a study done in Norway and Croatia about vitamins C and E reducing the chances of bends.

Anyone else heard of this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
C+E contain anti-oxidant which are likely to bind/block free radicales (sorry if the translation to english is wrong :) that are related with formation of bubbles in your blood.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Am i right in thinking then that eating fruit can reduce the chances of DCI?

Hmmm not as good as a good bacon sarnie or fry up for this though ;)

Woz - You do agree don't you?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Apparently tannine also contains anti-oxidants. And tannine is found in red wine and porto. Maybe that works better for you than fruits :angel:

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I know that there is a line of thought on Anti-Oxidants and O2 toxicity - CNS and pullmonary i.e. anti-oxidants help prevent it, but haven't heard anything on them and DCI

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Yup!

Also heard that you shouldn't trust everything you read, especially not from unverified sources, nor from the gutter press.

Cheers, Paul
Thats a bit harsh on Zest! I think you may be confusing it with something else......:rolleyes:

Dianne

·
Registered
41 Posts
"Anesthetized Sprague-Dawley rats were immersed in a customized designed temperature-controlled box
filled with water inside a hyperbaric chamber. The animals were exposed to a diving profile on air for a bottom
time of 60 minutes followed by 3ATA/min decompression."

So they were pressurised in a box filled with water?! All I want to know is, firstly which manufacturer of regs managed to produce a second stage small enough, and secondly, how they managed to figure out all the paw signals.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scuttler: your link is fascinating. I'm now learing how submarine escape from 25 ATA can now be made safer, by involving the use of "15 adult female or castrated male goats in the weight range 35-60 kg" :O

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Its well known that bacon sarnies prevent DCI. Well, have you ever seen a pig with the bends????? :) :) :) :)
Only The Pink Floyd pig, and that was the post Roger Waters one :eek:mg:

As for antioxidants, free radicals and fruit, I think you'll find Apricots are the thing. And pretty much anything orange :D My favourite colour

i'd sort out your bog mags if i were you.
My bathroom is stocked with diving magazines and catalogues :angel:

I must say, I do find it strange when I use someone's bathroom and it is totally devoid of reading material. I'm sure that signifies a far too orderly mind, eh DanE ;)

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,297 Posts
Are you suggesting that Zest should be considered as gutter press?
Nooo - don't missquote me!

Among the other things I'd heard that you shouldn't simply accept things printed by the gutter press as fact. I have never heard of zest being part of the gutter press.

LOL, Paul

1 - 20 of 40 Posts