YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Am considering giving up smoking as its now getting in the way of my diving (yea.....sod the health stuff !!) via ear/sinus problems. (I gave up smoking underwater a couple of years ago (just in case Bren responds again !!)

Has anyone given up smoking by using Zyban
Does it have any impact on Scuba diving

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks M8, I`ll give these a go

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

I stopped for 3 months on Zyban, only once the pills were gone i started again.  (had an ear infection and winter had set in so no diving anyway)

Diving on Zyban is not adviced as it is an anti-depresant and there are not engough studies on how it can affect you at depth.  also one of the side effects is epileptic attachs, not fun at 30 meters!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Imported post

I took Zyban for a bit but had to give them up as they were not agreeing with me - mood swings, headaches, nausea etc. So I personally would not have felt comfortable diving whilst taking them, however not everyone gets these side effects.

They can really mess up one's head, I'd check with a doctor before diving whilst taking them

Good luck in your fight against the cigs though.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

They definately work while your taking them, but there are some side effects that you should be aware of.  I took them for 17 days with no ill effects before having a massive anafilactic ( wrong spelling ) shock. Doctor and Paramedics earnt their money that night.   I still smoke but at least i'll know what i'm dying of. Poke the Zyban.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Heard lots of similar unpleasant stuff about Zyban  

My experience(s): It is possible to bin the habit without these things, but you've got to be in the right frame of mind when you start, you need a strong personal "motivator", a casual "think I'll stop now" isn't going to get you thru "the long dark night of the quitter" .
It's very hard to do when you still mix with other smokers, especially in the pub, few beers down yer gullet,  "ahhh one won't hurt" - next thing you know....  
back to square one

Go for it Kirky, but psyche yourself up properly before starting
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi,

I gave up a couple of years ago with the help of Zyban but I started again about a month after stopping the course of tablets. I didn't dive on zyban so can't comment on it's underwater effects. The tablets made me feel a bit 'happy' and a little spaced out. I personally wouldn't dive on them.

As Steve has said, you must have a solid reason to quit (other than death from a smoking related illness 'cause that's not normally 'good' enough).

I gave up for good in January because smoking and DIR don't mix. GUE won't entertain smokers and I had a course to do. That was a good enough reason for me  

I used nicorette gum this time and it worked just fine.

Good luck (not that you'll need it on zyban - it works)

Mark

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

Yes, the gum rules.  Even the low strength stuff is good enough for me to be on the way to binning 15 a day.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>John,

Good luck with the quit.  I recently quit using a internet support group, everyone on there is really freindly and helpfull.  I could'nt have done it without them...

Heres the address.
www.netdoctor.co.uk
Support Groups/smoking cessation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts